Rooster Apparatus 13, Usage Review

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by TheStoneFox, Jul 8, 2014.

1. http://www.roosterapparatus.com

One of the most misunderstood pieces of glass on the market, the rooster apparatus, has become my favorite piece of smokeware that I have ever had the pleasure of using.

I've waited to post a review until I was certain of my opinion. After extensive use, and taking the time to learn this specific piece of glass, my findings were pleasantly surprising.

Let's start with the bad:

Complicated setup. The chimney adapter can be viewed as awkward when trying to combust flowers, but I've found a little joint wax/ Burt's beeswax on the bowl's joint solves that as long as the lower joint remains unwaxed.

Also, use of the included glass filters is all but required to avoid intense daily cleaning sessions. With the filters however, I've found that It can tolerate daily use for week or better without cleaning. It's so pretty when clean, that I've taken to a nightly cleaning ritual. Isopropyl soak followed by hot water and joy dish soap.

The bowl that comes with the rooster apparatus is mediocre at best. Though it is extremely solid and nicely shaped, the hole is simply too large, and I've come to prefer a pinch or multi holed slide. I paired mine with a vanilla sovereignty 4 hole slide.

The good:

Finish:

Although some folks complain about imperfections, my 13" has only one air bubble. One. Microscopic at that. Even the mouthpiece is free of imperfections. The blemish that exists is so small it took me hours of gawking at my new piece to spot it. The piece stands straight and has zero wobble. The 13" feels incredibly stable on its base. Someone will literally have to kick it over to topple the piece.

Flexibility.

Oil, flower, whatever, this piece knocks it out of the park. Both substances milk and clear instantly. The included chimney adapter makes a fantastic dome, albeit an unadorned one. About to upgrade to a Ti nail, and am excited to see the results.

Function:

Simply water testing the piece does not convey the function of this piece. The fritted disc does not directly compare to any perc I've ever used. It's easy to see why so many folks have bad things to say. It simply doesn't feel like a "bong". No chug, minimal drag, only fizz. When you pull, a low hiss emits from the disk. The water erupts Into a beautiful storm of tiny bubbles. The diffusion is so intense, I have no problem admitting that it's entirely possible that some potency may be lost, but to my experience I notice no loss in intensity. Quite the opposite. The hit looks small in the minimalistic tube but as I clear it, the head change occurs almost instantly. I am open to all criticism here, but in my opinion/experience, I've never had more profound results from any other piece. Even compared to a Soverignty king stem line, or my migrant triple disc with shower head ashcatcher. I have not tried a möbius matrix, so I cannot compare. Other fritted discs I've tried and seen simply do not produce the type of fizz Dave's disc does. I'm not sure what is different about his method of fuzing glass, but the aperture size is, in my opinion, perfect.

The hit:

if you go for a lungful, watch out. This thing can deliver a thick, thick hit. My first drag yielded a fit of coughing reminiscent of my first blunt drag. I was over enthusiastic and hit it extremely hard, as I would my migrant. This piece requires finesse for optimal results. It is incredibly responsive to lung pressure and is a pleasure to experiment with to find the perfect hit size. I have it down pat at this point and I can say that it delivers, bar none, the smoothest, well rounded hit I've ever had. I can now take green hit after green hit with no cough. Hash on top? Still, no cough. It takes some getting used too, but now, I find myself spoiled.

Conclusions:

Dave Goldstiens rooster apparatus may not be for everyone. Some of the resinous flavor that hardcore smokers crave is lost to its intense diffusion, but rest assured the flowery, citrus, skunky, kushy flavors of your favorite strains come through nicely. The traditional chug of a conventional water piece is gone entirely and replaced with an effortless fizz that reminds me of pouring a glass of club soda. All of these factors combined with an aesthetically pleasing design make for a piece that is completely unique, easy to wield and comes HIGHLY recommended from this humble smoker.

To be clear, I have no affiliation with Dave Goldstein, or any blowers for that matter. I am just a man who loves all well made glass especially when it's designed and built right here in the States. If I have any bias at all, it's that of a very satisfied owner.

I hope this will help some folks make informed opinions for themselves about this wonderful contraption.

2. #2 Sghetti nButter, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014

3. I tried quoting on my phone, but the app has some issues sometimes.
    Here's what I tried saying in the quote. Lol.

Great review man.
    I've had one for about a year now, but haven't used it in about 9 months.
    Only reason being, I stopped using it for a little and was using the dome/slide holder as a holder for my slide when using my other pieces.
    I knocked it over 1 too many times and it cracked.
    I just haven't gotten around to getting the 30 dollar piece to start using it again.
    I love the thing as well, but as you mentioned it does steal some of the flavor and I'm a sucker for good flavor.
    All in all it's an unique piece that I can't wait to start using again.

4. Aqua lab has got the adapters for 30 plus shipping until the 15th. Pick up one AND some slide stands while the sales going!

Glad to hear some love for the rooster. I needed to combat some of the misconceptions out there. It's just one of those pieces. While perhaps not the best, it is undeniably an entirely unique experience.

My next piece will be a Custom Migrant piece, followed by either a smaller sovereignty or a möbius nano matrix.

I've just recently sold the 18" migrant triple disc to fund my Goldstein, but already miss the unique large bore "slurp" that migrants simple discs produce. Plus the blower is a GREAT guy that readily responds to emails. When I buy my next migrant, I'm sticking to 16" or less, but adding a splash catcher below the mouth piece.

Been coveting the highly touted Soverignty peyote pillar for some time, but that's on down the road.

The glass producers I plan to eventually fill my collection out with include but are not limited to:

Goldstein, migrant, sovereignty, leisure glass, möbius, and slides from Ben Wilson, Freeek, Burtoni, and Salt.

You?

5. The big spaces at the end of your paragraphs are keeping me from
    Quoting,I hate this app lol.
    Again what I'm trying to quote..

Nice man.
    I have a worked Ben Wilson slide! One of his 8-point disc screen built it ones. I love it.
    I'm kind of slowing down on glass at the moment, to be honest. Only because I'm not in the market to be able to sell my ones I would like to get rid of. Really sucks living on the east coast, people don't appreciate glass as much.
    I would love a peyote pillar! Damn right that's way down the road lol.
    I could go on for awhile naming brands/pieces I want, but I'll just name what I have.
    The goldstein obviously.
    An official roor. (first piece, heard the hype, if I knew what I knew now I wouldn't have got one. Still a great piece nonetheless.)
    A 16" Pulse gridded tongue to honeycomb tube.
    Has a fair bit of drag but I enjoy it every now and then.
    A pulse ash catcher/bubbler. This has been my daily 'driver' for months now. I use it as a bubbler instead of an ash catcher on another tube because it's a breeze to clean using such a small/drag-less piece. Oh it's a double showerhead perc btw.
    That's about it excluding my old 6-arm name brand ash catcher that I used to use on my roor. Also excluding misc. items such as my herb iron, kief box, etc.
    Excuse my shitty paragraphs, I'm working an odd job at the moment and kind of on and off lol.
    Btw all the migrants I've seen look stellar, I've never had/hit one though.
    And I haven't hit a möbius either! I want to so badly, or a mothership! :0

6. Oh and my roosters disc is orange, btw. Wanted a clear but couldn't snag one. Success quoting! Ahh this app

7. Hahaha. Sorry about my odd syntax.

The colored roosters are awesome, I just wanted clear to be able to verify a complete clean in case I needed to travel with it.

Pulse is legit. I know the AC/bubbler you speak of. Very cool.

If you need to dump some glass, you can slip some through craigslist. I'm in the Tennessee valley area and several pieces go across the local craigslist channels weekly.

East coast is a drag for glass aficionados, but I love the area too much to move out west. Lol. I have to drive an hour to get to ANY headshop. No joke. None of them carry the big boy pieces either. Some medicali and pulse will flow through occasionally, but not much.

I have small circle of friends that are into glass so we keep it alive down here. Lol

I live on the east coast, I sell my pieces regularly.  You can ship.  If you want to move glass you pretty much need to be on fb, bm has very low activity, nuggetry is getting pretty bad all around.

Like I said, I live on the east coast and have some glass that people have a very hard time finding no matter where they live.  Fab egg, slop cup, OG straight pillar just gotta find the right stores and be on fb and ig a lot lol.

I just found the DG to be too airy, lost too much flavor.  It is smooth and you can pretty much take as big a rip as you want and not cough a lung up.  I find it to be a bit draggy compared to other pieces I've had, but it's to be expected when you're trying to pull air through a cross section that is so reduced by the glass frit.  It's not so draggy as to be unpleasant but I definately feel it.

9. nice, the colored frits are much cooler to look at.  Where on east coast are you?  Jfriendlys in towson, MD and also the one in NJ carry both mobius and sov.  I've been to the MD one, the owner is a nice guy....he'll talk your ear off though lol.

I'm in the philly area, primal is my go to shop.  Best in the area hands down, and they are on the mothership list of retailers.  

10. Im in south jersey/Philly area as well. Primal in Springfield is actually where I got my fritted, i didn't see any motherships when I was there.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

It's mothership, it sells out lol.  The eggs are usually dibsed before they even get them in, but minis, torus, kleins, and ball rigs sometimes are around for a couple weeks.

12. Makes sense, lol.
    So sought after it's crazy.