roor toro those big brands yada yada

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by wenahaone, Mar 12, 2009.

1. So before coming on this forum I had hardly heard of the big brands like roor and toro. Everything my friends and I bought were locally blown.

what's your opinions on buying from these big companies? I guess they might be good quality at a good price?

two major reasons that I don't think I'd ever buy from these guys:

1.I'd rather support small business
    2.I'd rather have a piece that's original

whaddyal think?

2. you have two really good points

i haven't bought from the big companys. In a way i want one. But i don't want to buy a overpriced object just for the name. so idk.

3. Yeah, I'm debating myself whether or not to take the plunge. I never hear anything bad about them though.

4. nobodys going to talk bad about something they paid $400 for

5. thats true. but then again lambourgini does not make a bad car, maybe youre just paying for that.

6. I know exactly what you mean man. They make some pretty rad glass, but it would just be so hard for me to spend $400+ on any smoking apparatus. However I have hit several roors, straight tubes with just the diffy as well a percd and i've gotta say they're about the smoothest bongs i've ever hit. someday... haha

7. isn't the lambo made by audi or something like that? even there your paying for name. buy a audi for $30,000 or a lambo for $300,000 ? just buyin a name.

but yea, i would like to get a roor at some point to see what all the hype is about. i been looking at a "Roor Custom Little Sista Icemaster 3.2"

8. TORO, RooR, SG, etc etc.. they are all 100% guaranteed QUALITY and FUNCTIONALITY. The reason they are so big, and people are willing to pay so much for them, is because they are great bongs.

Anyone who says "you pay for the name" is a fool. Are you paying extra for the name? No shit. The same way Nike costs more than a no-name. But you are definitely not JUST paying for the name, and definitely not paying for MAINLY the name. You are paying mainly for the top notch quality and workmanship, and then a little bit extra for the name.

9. You just called yourself a fool by acknowledging that there is a markup for the name. You ARE paying extra for the name, and oftentimes local glass blowers make just as good or an even better product.

10. You're paying a small premium for the name but you're mainly paying for the craftsmanship. Building on the car analogy, you can get a corvette for $75,000 or a Ferrari for $250,000. Sure their speed may be the same, but the attention to detail and care that's put into making the Ferrari is much higher and the prices are relative.

11. It's more than a small name premium, its quite a large markup for the name. I never said there was anything wrong with that, but I do get tired of people claiming they are so much better than a well crafted piece from an unknown local glassblower. Then again it's amusing seeing people get all defensive because they spent $300+ on a piece. If it makes one happy to do so that's fantastic, just don't pretend it's automatically better because it was expensive.

12. do you have a lambourgini or have driven one at length? Well I think that is a bad comparison then.

13. In-fucking-deed man, I couldn't agree more. I laugh at the kids on here who use get those pieces and swear it gets them "more high" than any other piece.

14. Don't get me wrong. The big names make fantastic pieces. The extra price one pays is not necessarily for extra quality though when compared to comparably crafted 'no name' handmade bongs.

15. the reason that i would never buy one of those bongs is because of how clumsy most of the people i chill with are! My friend had a really nice glass on glass with a/c. It would always put us on out asses! But of course as soon as we started smoking it with other people someone passed it with the a/c not all the way in and it fell out....needless to say my friend needs to guy by a new ass catcher. I know that these bongs are really nice, but just one little slip up putts so much money down the drain...especially when a green game is only $1.35 and you can drop those all day :smoke:

16. Actually the higher quality bongs can take a bit of a beating; pyrex is tough stuff. Still, all it takes is one bad landing. I'd rather spend $100 or so on a plain custom well crafted tube because sooner or later I'll probably break it :D Then again I also don't get into ashcatchers and diffusers and all that newfangled crap ;) Tiny glass marbles or beads make a perfect diffuser, and I clean too often to worry about residue/ash.

Speaking of breaking I finally broke my no name after about six or seven years. Well, a cat broke it. I'm going to hit the flea market this weekend I think; there are a couple of really good glassblowers who sell there.

17. right now, with all my accessories, my RooR is worth right around $360... Buying from a big (German) company like RooR means that you get a scientifically engineered bong to get you stoned. The research that goes into these glasses of art is worth every penny. The Glass has the perfect thickness for the amount of water you're able to add, meaning u get the "perfect hit" every time :D

18. first of all, Toro is made by one man
    JP
    so every peice IS unique and isnt produced by a big comapny. hes just known to have some AMAZING AMAZING quality work that i think is worth more than ROOR.

Roor on the other hand IS a big company with many glass blowers, all with equal ability in creatign some of the best smoking apparatuses around!

19. The expensive bongs all look great, but there's no way in hell I'm paying 400 dollars for a foot of glass tube when I can get a nice Mexican Strat for that kind of cash.

20. once again, your choice. It really comes down to how obsessed you are with your hobby IMO.. I prefer to have discerned smoking devices for a discerning smoker :D