Room Design

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Grandaddy Purp, Nov 4, 2010.

1. #1 Grandaddy Purp, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    I've been working on a design for a new grow room. I've been doing my research and ended up with the picture below for how I want the layout of the room to be.

[​IMG]

I am still working on the most efficient way to keep the lights/hoods cool.

I put it together in paint in 30 mins so its not to scale and pretty low quality all around. But it gives you an idea of what I have in mind.

Do the experts here have any suggestions on things I should add/change? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. #2 Grandaddy Purp, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    No suggestions????????????????????????

3. Three fans

one fan for two lights that does not use grow space air
    another fan for the other two lights
    and one fan to exchange grow space air

no intake fan

512 cubic feet in your grow
    x 3 for air exchange= 1536 cfm rated fan

try greners. This is a 12 inch sunleaves fan. More or less

fan speed adjuster or temp speed adjuster.
    Make your own carbon filter

4. Alright man bare with me here... If I am hooking a fan up for two lights when what type of fan am I looking at getting? Another inline fan like the exhaust (but lower CFM)? What kind of CFM am I looking at getting for two 600W HPS in larger sized hoods? Also by not using grow space air are you talking about having both ends of the ducting from the lights outside of the room?

Thanks for the help...

5. Yeah. Both ends are ducted out of your grow space to help keep your grow cooler

two four inch inlines would be more than enough.

You might be able to get away with a smaller fan than a 12 inch. But I don't know what hemisphere you live in. And I have not seen where you plan to pull you air from. Your stadic temps in or your grow space. So I'm giving you big fans in the hopes you can slow them down and make it more stealthy

it's nice to go overboard with venting so you can turn it if if it gets hot

6. You might be able to get away with two 8 inch inline fans pulling air threw both your ai cooled hoods with one end pulling grow space air

depends.

7. Well with the help from Tihspeed I re-drew to include proper hood ventilation

[​IMG]

I am not looking to take any unnecessary shortcuts here so I am willing to drop extra cash when need be.

8. Two things

yield is directly related to watts. If your looking for maximum yield and your willing to actually get 2400 watts in there why not just get 1000 watt ballasts?

If your plant flowers for two months your gonna get 4000 grams. Do the math. Make sure your not shooting yourself in the foot here. Two months of flower bring you 2400 grams with how you have it layed out now.

Secondly. You should put where your getting your air from in your drawing. Your gonna need a pasive intake for your exhaust.

Nice drawing btw

9. Are you saying that I should look at switching to 1000w set-ups instead of the 600w? At first I wanted to use 1000w but after researching the 600watters I thought that they would be a better choice. I would also like to have some walkspace around the lights so that I can get to the plants in the back without having to dig through a jungle.

I am planning in vegging for 10 days then flowering for 60-70 days depending on the dif strains.

Thanks again for the help

10. with an eight foot ceiling you can do whatever you want....

since you got the cash... get the three fans.. this totally covers you as far as air

if you have more cash... get 1000 watt digital ballasts with 1000watt MH and HPS bulbs and since their digital you can turn them down to 600 with no problem... don't play with the dial.. set it and forget it... you turn the dial when the ballast is off and turn it back on... trust me

this way you have everything.. the 600, the 1000 if you wanna upgrade and if your yield is small, you can always turn it up

did you read my previous post about using two eight inch fans and using grow space air?

Need to know

ambient air temp in grow space right now?
    Do you plan to add an AC to your grow?
    Where are you getting your air from?
    Where are you exhausting to?

temp outside HIGH and LOW.....

basement grow?

and your budget

11. #12 Grandaddy Purp, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
    I didn't know that you could dial down the bulbs. I am definitely going to look into switching to 1000w set-ups then.

I did read your previous post about the 8" fans using grow space air. How would I go about attaching a carbon filter if I went that route? I am guessing that I would need two of them.

I do plan on adding a portable AC unit to the room in the future but right now the funds are already getting stretched. I figured that I would add a AC unit when I am ready to add a proper CO2 system (a few months down the road).

I'm not at the location for the op now so I cant take any temp readings. But it is inside so I'll be assuming that its going to be around 65-75 degrees. We are working out a way to get a constant airflow from outside into the room that the op is in without anything looking suspicious. As for the exhaust air it is also going to try and go outside or into a different room in the house. As of right now the outside temp ranges from a high of 75(ish) to a low of 50(ish). It is not a basement grow and we have a budget of $3000-$4000. Hopefully more if a few jobs that I have lined up come through.

12. CO2 systems are crazy.... their like a grow on crack... if your grow isn't dialed in you can destroy a whole crop in a few hours.... I always shy people away from them... then once the get all crazy with their grows... their set... I'd so wait on that part of it

you could do the eight inch fans....and you would need two carbon filters strapped to the ceiling then vented to the light then vented to the exhaust fan...

any way you end up going is going to work pretty much.... if it were my grow... and i had your budget

i'd do 1000 watt digital ballast's with air cooled hoods... make my own carbon filters(saves five hundred)... do two eight inch fans(it seems cold where you are.. should be fine)

you never have talked about grow media... im interested to see where you go

if you go this route... and you need to upgrade your air exchange.. its just one more fan.. 200 or so... so its really not that big of a deal

13. I am definitely not ready for a CO2 system now but it is something that I would like to learn more about and include into my op in the future.

The only thing that I am worried about with the 8" fans would be the summer months. It can get pretty hot around here (high 80's on average but high 90's are common). I would rather have a ventilation system that's a little overkill for peace of mind during the hot months.

For grow medium we are still undecided if we want to go the bubble bucket route or stick with soil. If we went the hydro way we would be using the lucas formula and if we went the soil way we would prob be making our own soil that consisted of clay pellets, pearl lite, worm castings, coco peet, and mineral magic. Then use the nutes that our local hydro store sells (GS I think).

14. sunleaves windtunnel fans move more air than most inline fans are are mostly quiet...

like i stated in my earlier posts... you needed to move 1536 CFM's(this is a good number to shoot for)....the sunleaves 8" fans move 750 a piece... combined their super close to what your looking for... you could effectively exchange your grow space air every 40 seconds or so... thats super good...

now if using the two eight inch inline fans does not work... all you have to do is add another fan(like another 8 inch fan) and a filter and your good to go...

with your temps it really does seem like this would work.... and it saves you some money(unless the 8 inch fans cannot effectively move the air) in which case you break even and have three super awesome fans...

your going to need speed controllers of some sort as well... either fan speed controllers or temp speed adjusters... this way you can slow down your fans to make it more stealthy