Room design

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by daoriginaljoka, Nov 22, 2012.

1. ok so I am building a room 14x10x7 that will have veg room at 5' and flower will b 9' was looking at a total of 4 hps with Adjust A Wing Avenger Medium with either Lumatek 600 Watt Ballast 240 Volt or the MicroMole 600 watt Digital Ballast Dimmable 120/240v.

a 400 mh for the veg along with a couple of florescents

I've seen the videos on utube for the micromole ballasts but any real right ups r far and few between.

looks like the mm's are made from gavita but found a right up from a ham radio site about noise from ballasts and mm was worse than lumatek...

also been getting beat up from a couple of local growers and an electrician that does work for them about my reflector choice all have stated air cooled hoods r the best but from my research and gut says a parabolic shape is the best and the fact you can adjust em opens a lot of options...

I for one do not see the need to cool lights as that action alone casues problems with the bulbs, a large loss in efficiency from the sealed glass, cleaning both the glass and reflectors along wit venting the things and not to mention they leak. cons just keep going up... adjust a wings are the better solution imho... (talk me out of it) :)

flower room will have 3 18" air kings wit one over the lights and two moving air below lights. will also have 1150 cfm vortex with 850cfm phresh, muffler and straight run to 12" vent outside....

veg room will have one 6" vent, flower will have two 6' vents for intake with filter and possibly a pusher fan to really get the flow thru...

I do understand the issue wit heat but if air flow can not keep heat down I am not afraid to insert a a/c unit.

well thoughts, opinions, comments, advice...?

2. 18 views and no comments...

tough crowd or stupid questions...?

3. [quote name='"daoriginaljoka"']18 views and no comments...

tough crowd or stupid questions...?[/quote]

More like wall of text :p

What are your exact questions?

4. I dont think he had a question just looking for input.

The local grower is correct. You can still adjust a air cooled hood, you just have to plan for that and add enough flex duct to the light? Also the main reason they are better is because with the sheet of glass you create a heat trap allowing you to move the lights closer to the plants which inturn increase the amount of light they receive. Like dissipates exponentially. Also the glass stops little mishaps of bumping the bulb and breaking it and so on.

5. #5 daoriginaljoka, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
    correct was looking for clarification and some advise...

most info I found stated that the best reflector is a open aired wing type (even gavita uses that style)

I would like the best efficiency of light but not the extra heat, the room is in a basement and temps r always around 70 year round with 40% humidity.

with the 12" vortex expelling hot air should not be a problem and the room will have 3 intake vents allowing filtered fresh air from the rest of the basement.

I took total volume at 980 divided b 4 and added 150 cfm for each light which would be about 950 cfm fan give or take so I upped it with the 1150 for overkill...

guess I was looking for someone to talk me out of the adjust wing hoods and provide some viable benefits for an air cooled hood expense, maintenance and such.

I can see the benefits for the air cooled hood but with a 20% loose of light just from the glass, and most I see in video are not even being vented

guess I'm just having a problem spending the money on the hood ducting and power head to cool em...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0AJwCpeEW8[/ame]