Rolling trays

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by SkunkWoodz, Apr 7, 2015.

1. #1 SkunkWoodz, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
    I'll be updating this thread with new trays and other fun stuff, feel free to post your homemade rolling trays or stash boxes!
    Please no discussion on how to acquire one

Funky fresh design I just finished up, check it outttttt
    [​IMG]

2. Thats dope, you made that yourself?

God made Greenery & he also made the Scenerey🍁

3. That's pretty cool. I like the color of the wood.

4. yep, I free hand router trays.  The color is totally natural, gotta love it.  Just wood, mineral oil, and carnauba wax goes on these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. These are awesome. Do you sell them?

6. Cant talk abotu that on here man.

Chef.

7. My bad, I forgot.

8. Just finished this one yesterday.  Reminds me of a ninja turtle for some reason, what does it remind you of?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hey bud, great work! How about a tutorial on how YOU do it? I have all the tools, I just need a few ideas from an expert!

10. Alright so I don't really want to make a new thread and pretty lazy on tutorial.  So here's a few pics of my process. 

1. I like to make a design before I start carving.  While total free hand/ free form can be a lot of fun, you're more prone to error if you don't have something in mind.  Leave yourself around a 1/4" of room between edges.
    [​IMG]

2. Choose you piece of wood and transfer your design.  For this piece, black walnut was chosen, a very good choice, easy to work with and looks great.  My tip for transferring your design is carbon copy paper, or just transfer paper.  You can find it at art stores, office supply stores, or online.  
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3.  Cut out your design if you've got a shape to your tray.  If not just cut to size and sand the edges, or wait to sand.  Doesn't matter much.  I just do all the sanding at the end.  I use a sabre saw with a scroll blade, the thinnest possible.  Just go super slow and let the saw do the work.  This design took about 5 minutes to cut out.
    [​IMG]

4.  Mount the board to your workbench.  The best way is double stick tape,  don't waste your time with clamps an shit.  I like the outdoor stuff that doesn't have paper in it, it comes off better when your finished.  Tweezers come in handy when your peeling the non stick backs.
    [​IMG]

5.  Carving the tray.  This can be done a few ways.  The traditional old school way with chisels and a mallet, or a router and some sharp bits.  You can get a good chisel for 35 bucks from a specialty wood store that will make life easy if you're going old school.  I would highly recommend never using anything you get at lowes or home depot, waste of fucking time.  If you've got a router already, use that, if not, you can find something at a pawn shop for about the same $ as a good chisel. 
     The thing with the router is  you're limited on big spaces until you build yourself a new base for it.  I made this one out of high density fiber board from an Ace hardware.  When you're carving with the router it helps to wear a headlamp so you can see you line better.  And only take off 1/4" of material at a time or less!!! you'll burn your tools and wood up if you get greedy.  Sorry I didn't take much more pictures of this important step.  I chose the wrong bit on one pocket and created an overhang a few times, just more work in the end to fix it.  Templates come in really handy if you've got a router.  You'll need these brass washers to read the template guide(harbor freight tools)  I usually only use a template for circles.  
    After the initial carve out I go around with chisels and a dremel perfecting the shapes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6.  sanding, dreaded sanding.  The best sander I have is this 2" pad I put in a drill (harbor freight) when the pads stay on that is.  Hand sanding is still super effective, just get ready for some sore fingertips.  I start with 80 grit to work down sharp edges, then 150 to get the 80g scratches out, then 220, then 320, then 600.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Finishing the wood.  I just rub on some mineral oil then buff on some raw bees wax then rub with a microfiber towel.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. #15 SkunkWoodz, May 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
    Simple set of trays, maybe a his and hers, I dunno.  I've been looking at these two small pieces for months now.  Finally decided they're too small for anything too cool (duh) 

[​IMG]

12. those are sick

13. I've never had a "real" rolling tray, I did however steal the Taco Bell lobby trays a few times, they worked great! Haha cheers

14. Think I may have outdone myself again. Bought a planer so now I have the ability to easily put boards together. Purple heart and Padauk tray with a painstakingly carved cannabis leaf. Thanks for lookin fam

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Those are absolutely killer my friend! You have a lot of talent! Two thumbs waaay up! 🏼🏿

16. These look cool but what's the point of using them? I just use a table, or when i'm not at home a school book or my phone. They do the same job really.