Rolling Stones Named Eminem The King Of Hip Hop

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Casper The Don, Aug 19, 2011.

1. They playing a dirty game. Notice how they only include from 2009-11 but say he's the king of hip hop in general. That's possibly the worst era of Hip Hop right now. Bad enough the rest of their list is in shambles and goes on record sales, popularity contest. I agree with him being the king of hip hop from 09 to 11 but of all time or even back to 99? Hell no, they used a bland titled but specific criteria to trick people.

2. its hip pop bro, not hip hop.

3. I don't take anything Rolling Stone says seriously.

4. But others do.

The stans mostly, which is the majority of Eminem fans.

5. Fuck that. No one listens to real stuff anymore.

6. i will never understand why people generalize so much... (guy above me)

eminem might be the best hip hop artist to a kid like me who grew up in the 90's, but fortunately ive been exposed to all facets of the music industry and have formed my own opinion on things, as i hope most people would... so who is to say he or she is the best? i say to each his own fellow tokers...

also i dont think ive ever met anyone who's read a single word from a rolling stones mag lol

7. The statement they made is bullshit.

That's why they added subliminals.

8. Eminem IS the king of hip hop you see his fanbase and how nasty he is. no ones doin it like eminem is and i can say that not listening to that magazine

9. And you CLEARLY don't know what hip hop is or stands for at all. Making money and selling out isn't what hip-hop is. I'm not saying Eminem is bad or anything, but.. calling him is the king of hip-hop is ridiculous

I don't even see how there can be a king of hip-hop, hip-hop doesn't have kings and queens. That's not what the music genre is about. Eminem can be the king of radio rap for a minute though I guess.

10. i think you may be taking this too seriously man...

its just one magazine bro. not like he's officially being proclaimed the king of hip-hop :cool:

11. I'm the feelin of a millionaire spendin a hundred grand
    I'm a poor man's dream, a thug poet
    Live it, and I write down and I watch it blow up
    Y'all know what I'm like, y'all play it your system every night

12. 2pac is the king of Hip Hop.

All other arguments fail in comparison.

13. #13 fadeddd, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
    I know, I was more responding to him and commenting on the audacity of the magazine. :p THE AUDACITY!

I mean, Elvis is the "King of Rock", and I dunno whether or not he "invented" it, he was the first big rock musician. The first idolized one.

There were idolized pop musicians of course before M.J, but he popularized a whole new era of pop music that's still continuing. He was idolized by millions across the world and inspired/influenced either directly/indirectly almost every pop act since.

The only way I can see calling Eminem the king of hip hop (should be rap) is if the justifications were that he's the most financially successful white rapper, which is stupid, just because he's white he's crowned king above more financially successful people? And why again does money matter? Or because he really opened rap music to a white audience (I started to like Eminem cause of his appearance on chronic 2001 though, I'm sure I'm not the only one..) but again, why does it matter? How about naming someone who brought rap music and hip hop to the world the king of it? Someone who really revolutionized it? They can't, cause there was dozens from all over revolutionizing it every day when it was really hip-hop.

I'm done rambling, I'm high

14. [​IMG]

its the dips bitch

15. In my opinion he is the king of hip hop. But thats what it is my opinion, just like it's their opinion. You can't truly say anyones the king of hip hop, everyone has different taste and opinions. But Eminem definitely deserves props.

16. Fool, can't none of these beeotches touch the Fresh Prince or DJ Jazzy Jeff! Now that's RAP! :D

17. Umm, yeah Elvis was one of the first "rock stars" but the reason hes refereed to as "The King Of Rock & Roll" is because of his success...his popularity..."In his long, illustrious career, Elvis Presley had over 110 top 40 hit singles, including 18 number one songs. He also starred in 31 motion pictures, notably Jailhouse Rock, Blue Hawaii, Viva Las Vegas and King creole. No other performer has come closer to this amazing record of success and critical acclaim."

Same with Jackson, king of pop based on influence and success...

so yeah a corporate magazine calling Eminem (THE HIGHEST SELLING ARTIST OF THE LAST DECADE of all genres) "the King of Hip Hop" and basing it on commercial success is very normal, and is actually the most common way of judging musical artists throughout history (their influence and commercial success)...the only other artist i could think of that should be given that title (based on success) would be Jay Z (11 studio albums 9 #1 albums (most all time), highest grossing artist (including last year) and longevity/consistency )

So i can see why Eminem was named that, but really its all pointless, listen to what you like

18. I don't understand how anyone who likes rap doesn't like Eminem... I mean do you honestly prefer bullshit like this...

or even...

19. keep basedgod outta this! jay-z is the king of hip hop btw

20. whoever the king of hip hop is is somebody's opinion..respectively. rolling stone is one magazine and i know a lot of people take it seriously but still..it's just their opinion nonetheless