Rolling Stone Top Guitarist list

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by StonedMortal, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Does anyone ever read this list and go "This is total bullshit"?

The lists' lineup rarely changes.
    They barely give credit to the new wave of shredders and innovators of the guitar.

Idgaf how influential some of those old ass guitarists are. They've had their time, but they need to give credit where credit is due and destroy that list and the people who vote for it.
    Let's get some new faces higher up on that list.

Opinions on the matter?

2. It's obviously pretty masturbatory like ah, these were the "classics" remember the good ole days.

John Lennon over Robert Fripp:confused: No Django Reinhardt? No Jazz or Bossa Nova Guitarists?

You could find better guitarists on youtube than a lot of the guys on that list.

3. They leave out so many talented indivduals, some who, in my humble opinion, are better than so called "greats".

4. Saw this thread thought i would check out the list as i never have, just skipped to the top 10 and i thought they were actually pretty solid. Except for keith richards is no way the 10th best guitarist of all time. jimi, bb king, greg allman, chuck berry, jimmy page, slow hand i think they got those right but im more of a classic rock guy.

5. i dont listen to modern rock. TBH nothing out there is good anymore.

6. Trey Anastasio for ambassador!

7. I listen to classic rock as well, but I feel as though this is list made off of biases. They either disregard, discredit or completely ignore most modern music. They're willing to honor older modern music musicians like John Petrucci and give someone who isn't even a guitarist a spot on the list (Fucking Sonny Moore) but John Kempainen and Ryan Night from The Black Dahlia Murder can't even get an honorable mention?

8. I agree, they don't give enough respect to the new(er) guys like Josh Homme, Matt Bellamy, Mike McCready, luckily they had Kim Thayil or I would have wrote in haha. The list goes on and on. I'm more of a classic rock guy too, and I believe they got some things wrong on that end as well (no Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore, or the riffmaster Tony Iommi at 82, whats with ) for example. These lists are always going to be written for popularity, not for real "fans" of the music. Seeing the same guys up there time and time again gets old sure, but maybe in 20 or so years they'll be writing about modern guys. Maybe they could do multiple lists? It is entertaining and fun to debate though.

9. and Jazz/Bossa Nova. Its not that damn hard to play the same 5 notes over and over again.

10. I don't think anyone is ever gonna knock Hendrix off the top spot though. Although I'm a big fan of Hendrix (Experience and Band of Gypsys) I do sometimes wonder whether he would be as regarded as highly as he is if he hadn't died at such a young age

11. If I was gay I would pounce Jimmy Page

12. #12 deadhead4-2-0, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
    Doing a little more research of the list and how they compiled it im confused as to why you guys think this list is bullshit because it doesnt feature your modern guitarist of choice as a group of famous guitarists voted on the order. If you didnt read the names it mostly consisted of old guitarists 80's and earlier so obviously there not going to pick modern musicians as they had probably no influence on them as musicians. I also have the feeling that the like of keith richards and santana probably dont listen to alot of the black dahlia murder.

13. Trey Anastasio is one of the best.

14. Show me a list that isn't biased and I'll give you every cent I have in my bank account.

I don't know why you people are bickering about this list. I mean it's Rolling Stone for christsake. The music world has pretty much lost all interest in what Rolling Stone has to say about anything several decades ago.

15. It's the rolling fucking stones magazine. Its what you use to wipe your shitty asshole at BEST. The same magazine that puts the fucking jonas brothers on the cover, and you expect an accurate best guitarists list??? /facepalm

16. John frusciante is one guitarist that I find personally to be one of the most influential out there. Especially as someone who came close to death as a heroin addict, and he still is one of the greatest guitar players of our time.