Rockwool

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by fasthonda, Apr 2, 2014.

1. How wet should I keep my rockwool until I see the roots I always have a hard time getting my seedlings started. I am good at the germinating and growing aspect I just an hit or miss on them growing roots and getting going. So before I waste anymore of my good seeds I want to have a good success rate before I switch back to them. I can never seem to keep my rockwool prefect I keep it under a humidity done and let them breathe when I get home from work every day. What is a good way to tell if it is to dry. Any help appreciated. I love gc

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I soak my rockwool plugs, shake lightly to remove excess water, then move them into a Ziploc container, sealed. Don't add any more water for days or weeks. As long as the lid stays on you keep all the moisture in. Granted, when you air it out some moisture escapes, but its negligible. Not until the seedlings start to poke the bottom of the lid do I take it off. Then leave them in the container under a light and spray once or twice a day to keep them moist until you want to move them to their permanent home. I found bathroom Dixie cups work perfectly for keep the roots together, and easy to rip away when transplanting. Has worked almost 100% for me that way.

3. can you place rock wool cubes straight into soil or is it just for doing dwc?? 

4. pretty certain you can put them in soil. Don't see why not.

5. What system are you using the rockwool in? Many systems you can do without rockwool altogether when starting with seeds. I can't stand rockwool for the same reason you are having trouble.

If you soak the rockwool until its completely saturated and then suck out a ml or so with a pipette or syringe it will be about right but they dry out fast

6. i just got 3 seeds online should i start of germing then rockwool or just put them in the rock wool or just stright in the soil

7. #7 GoldGrower, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    If you're growing in soil yeah just push them straight in there about half inch to an inch deep and lightly dampen the soil

8. without germing? if so thanks.

9. They will germinate perfectly well in the soil, it's the best place for them. keep the soil lightly damp, not wet

10. alright thank you and would a 300 watt led work to grow 3 autos from seed to harvest im sorry for asking it all on this topic 

11. I bought a salad spinner for my rockwool cubes.

For the 1" & 4" cubes I use I soak them in warm water to loosen dust & lime once than I ph' them than salad spin them once but I dont spin them dry; Just to make the process quicker and less stressful for the rockwool. Roots form in damp rockwool just dont keep them underwater.

I gotta do that right now for my clones that are just now losing water out the dome after 3 days(rIght after this post). 11 Blue cheese clones that all rooted. I root them further in a large 4" cube under drip in black buckets for roots than throw them in Rdwc. Its a lot of work compared to soil. 

12. I am using a Dwc with hydroton. Can I put my seedling straight into my hydroton. If so that would be awesome.

13. i sprout my seeds directly in my hydroton. never use rockwool, just personal preference

14. Awesome I feel like that would be much easier I hate rockwool it is a pain. How often do you top waste the hydroton

15. Water

16. How do you keep the rocks a little wet do you just let the bubbles keep them moist

17. #18 GoldGrower, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
    not all LEDs are the same but if it's a quality unit then probably.

When I germinate seeds I place them in a folded lightly dampened piece of kitchen paper. I put the seed in the crease, and place the whole thing in a zip lock bag and stand it up. The seed germinates and sends a tap root down along the crease. This gives me a long straight seedling.

Once the seedling is about 4" long (stem + root) I place straight in to clay balls and have the level of the water submerging the tap root. It's then treated as normal and growth is very fast compared to mucking about with rockwool at the start

18. Awesome that is what I was looking for sounds good

19. Here's a photo of one of my seedlings right before I place in the clay balls ...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1