Rockwool to Hydroton Transplant

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Ganja Ganja, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Is that okay? I just got lucky with access to a sweet motherplant. I'm cloning and planting in rockwool cubes to start with.

I'm just checking, will it be safe to transplant the rockwool cube into my DWC with hydroton pebbles? If not what is a better cloning medium alternative? I'm doing this in like an hour so looking for quick advice!!

2. I am wondering the same thing. Will the stem eventually rip the rockwoll apart in the hydrons? I dont think there is any way of removing the rockwoll from the root system.

3. There is definitely no way to remove it from the roots. I'm wondering if it will be ok for the entire growth period inside the pebbles. I'm worried about mold, and like you said the rockwool ripping apart with root growth (which might not be a bad thing, but it concerns me because I don't want to clog up the plumbing in the DWC with rockwool fragments).

4. Just set the RW cube in the net pot on some Hydroton pebbles to level it to where you want the plant to sit. Then fill around the RW cube with the Hydroton to top of net pot. I use Rapid Rooters, but treat them the same way. I like to cover the the cube with Hydroton, so I set the cubes about 1/2"-3/4" below edge of net pot. Your roots will blow right through the Hydroton and out of the net pot. GL