Rockwool How to?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cray1000, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Hi i am using rockwool for the first time. i have germinated my other seeds in a wet towel and then moved them to a drinking cup, as per the germination 4:20 guide.

is there any good tips or info on using rockwool? my grow bible says rockwool is the best to se.

i bought this:

High Tech Garden Supply

and

High Tech Garden Supply

they say to soak them in seed starter and bring the ph down to 5.5. but i know 7 is what i want so i didnt lower the ph and just soaked them in water and then dropped the seeds in and then smooshed them in that tray.

is this right?

did i need to soak them in something other than water? would a tiny bit of my fox farms grow big work since its N is higher than its P and K?

do i need to cover this tray with a bag or something to keep moisture in?

do i need to push the seeds down in the cubes or just drop them in?

thanks\

2. The pH needs to be lowered because rockwool has a high pH. You also don't want 7. In soil you want 6.5-6.8. In hydro you want lower pH.

3. I don't agree that rockwool is the best. I am not a big fan of it because it's not biodegradable and I just don't really like using it that much because I plant in soil and it creates a little drainage difference. I like rapid rooters for clones personally, and I like jiffy plugs for germinating seeds.

4. what are jiffy plugs? are they the round discs i bought? those didnt work...

5. also what should i use to lower the ph?

where can i buy jiffy plugs?

should i use stsrter food in the rockwool too? or just lower the ph and water?

iwhat food should i use?

6. Read my friend all these questions can be answered in the stickies with just a couple hours of reading. if you dont have the patience to read you wont be able to grow..

7. They are peat pellets. What do you mean they didn't work? It's not magic, a seed could grow my toilet tank if I heated the water up a bit.

8. pH down, home depot, no, just lower the pH and water, and get a good nutrient program, some people like the lucas formula, I like programs like cutting edge solutions and canna bio personally.

9. Budslinger is right, I would recommend reading a lot - start with the stickies

10. what is a "nutrient program" ??? do you mean when i start feeding the plants in a few weeks or for the seedlings? i have the foxfarms stuff for the plants but have been told not to use it for 2 weeks to a month since i am growing in soil.

if "nutrient program" is for seedlings can you eloborate on when i would use it and what for?

to the other 2 posters, yes i agree, reading is key, i have read just about all of my 460+ page grow bible but it just didnt cover alot of stuff. especially this early stage germination stuff. i read the germination 4:20 guide and alot of the stickies but can find all of it. but am trying.

11. I am having trouble finding ph down. its liquid right?

all i can find is ph down for ponds, is that the right stuff?

my local garden centers have never heard of it for soil/rockwoll usage, only the pond stuff.

12. heated the water?

the water i use for my seeds is cold, the same temp as my toilet probably. so is that wrong? should i be using warm water?

13. let ur water sit out all night so its room temp...

14. This is the best advice!! Man I'm flowering my first run, veging my second and just about done with germinating on my third. All I do is read lately ( any and all things Lucas right now) and after I'm done reading that I check out Grow Journals! Read, Read......read....;):D