rock wool help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jah421, Oct 10, 2011.

1. hello gc, ive been cultivating for several years now but always seem to have trouble with sprouting in rock wool cubes!! i pre soak them for 30mins then place my bean inside. but 3 out of 5 times the rock wool turns my seed to mush!!? is there a secret i dont know please help this is very frustrating:confused:!!

2. I wouldn't germ in the rockwool man, start off with the wet paper towel method, seems to have a MUCH higher success rate for me anyway.

3. i did the paper towel way but when should i put it into the rockwool?
    ive been putting them in right when they pop open

4. wen they crack u shud put them in rockwool in a dark dry place wit at least 70 degree temps

5. k thats what i did but i think i didnt soak it long enough before putting in the bean.

6. From what I understand you dont want the cube to be soaked, just moist, then dont water directly on top but on the bottom and let the plants roots seek the water.

7. that makes a lot of sense lol i never thought of it like that.. thanks man im just sketched out about losing another bean :/ hopefull i can get it right this time

8. Use a spray bottle to water your rockwool up until you take him to his medium don't set it in water or soak it. Rockwool holds water very well, I almost let my rockwool dry out then I'll spray it down a few times.

9. so its better to be to dry than to wet?

10. I wouldn't let it completely dry out. Spray it down till it's evenly wet and then leave it alone. Check on it the next day and do the same.

11. I have a hydro set up after my seeds popped from germ in a towl I placed the seed directly in the rockwool (dry) then placed my rockwool on to my hydroton (the medium I am using) and didn't do anything else. I have a drip system but it doesnt drip directly on to my rockwool. The rockwool absorbed the water from my medium. I had no problems.

Another thing to think about would be the ph?

12. alright sweet that was helpful man thanks!!
    i have a dwc bucket with a fish pump and airstone system. im going to try what you did and just put it straight into my system once in the roclwool! i just dont wanna lose another bean that i paid for ya know!? lol

13. No problem man. Keep us posted on the grow.

14. for sure man!! so now that i have the germed seed in the rockwool do i put it under light?

15. I put mine in light and she took off nicely.

16. cool! i hope it works lol im nervous dont wanna lose the cheese lol

17. Good luck bro. You should start up a grow journal so we can follow along. I am about a week ahead of you and I put up my journal yesterday.