rock dust

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Irie67, Jan 8, 2012.

1. My soil mix that my flowering girls are in doesn't have any rock dust. I just purchased D. lime, azomite, and soft rock phosphate. Can/Should I topdress or water in these rock dusts now. Worth it? Too Late in the game? They are 2 weeks into flower and look nice. Ive had a lot of problems but they seem to be looking great finally.

2. Irie67

There wouldn't be much (if any) advantage to top dressing with rock dusts. You could top dress with Azomite for example and then cover that with worm castings but the benefit wouldn't be worth the effort.

These products need to be in the soil where many of the micro-nutrients need specific enzymes produced by bacteria to free these Ions and make them available for further processing by other microbe colonies in some cases, or the enzyme action is enough to make them available for the roots hairs.

Make your next batch better and on your comment that things are going great then maybe going with this would be a guiding principle: "If it's working, don't fix it"

HTH

LD

3. Right on man.:D:smoke:

4. The lime would be the fastest and it would be kicking in right about chop time.

Yeah, add them to your mix for the next rodeo.

Wet

5. Glad to hear you picked some up though, Irie. It takes time to get all the wanted ammendments together - believe me. I have a hard time with certain items up here in the woods.

Very nice.

Jerry.

6. Hey Irie. I wanted to mention that I am making this post, not so much because of you, but because I see a trend developing.

Now some folks will think I'm being overly pedantic, but I think names and accurate communication is important, so I'm going to mention this and then drop the subject, unless a good discussion develops out of it of course.

Afaik, rock dusts/powders, specifically refers to rock dust like Azomite or Glacial rock dust. SRP, DL and others, in my mind, are fertilizers of one sort or another.

Someone the other day here was talking about rock powders and also included the fertilizers in that group, so I felt something should be said. :)

7. Here's a way of looking at it.

Rock dusts contain a huge range of elements or what the layman would call minerals. While they're 'stuck together' they are not compounds.

Liming agents like Dolomite Lime, Oyster Shell Powder, Calcite Lime and my favorite - Dolomite Lime contain compounds. Some in this group contain Calcium Carbonate and with Dolomite Lime you get Magnesium Carbonate. All of these will contain tiny amounts of a small range of elements.

See if that works..........

LD

8. That is not how i look or think about it. They all are referred to as dusts quite a bit, and in my mind they are all fertilizers or sorts, although they may work differently.

In my mind I'm dropping that old NPK thing, for diversity, in a well rounded soil mix. I guess I'm becoming a (soil) mixologist, or a maybe soil junky......MIW

9. Glacial rock dust is clearly an important ingredient...somehow i can only find this for ridiclous prices, but is it worth getting raped by the grow store?

$26.00 for 10kg

10. #10 FunTimeGrowHap, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    I dunno how layman it would be to use the term mineral. Azomite being derived by some clay in central Utah, I would guess is composed of andesite or shale. In terms of mineral content I'm guessing feldspar, amphibole, biotite, quartz, and a whole host of easily identifiable minerals from color alone if we are talking about something with a shale source.

As for the glacial rock dust, where does that come from exactly? I mean, there are lots of glaciers sitting on top of lots of different rocks. I'm sure we can figure out some very specific minerals, the elements being an easy thing to conclude after that.

11. you can make your own rock dust or go to some place where they cut rocks, the powder is the waste by product you should be able to smoke the rock cutter staff out and get it for free. You might not need to smoke them out though. up to you.

12. A bit cheaper if you want to buy bulk:

Glacial Rock Dust (50 lb)

50lbs. Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust - $47.72 Shipped \t\t

CIR

13. wow. It's like $12 or less of 10K of it here.

14. Oh sure, rub it in! :)

Availability is a bitch around here. Too much concrete, not enough garden types.

15. if you want to search skunkpatronus' posts i'm fairly sure skunk gets most the rock dusts for free, or very cheap, it might give you a lead or too