Rock dust

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by JohnnyFrisco420, Feb 26, 2020.

1. So I’m going to be building my own soil this year and I’m wondering something ; I need rock dust right ?

Is this the”right” stuff ?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 old shol4evr, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    delete

3. Thanks man! Do you know about how much soil this would make if I were using say 4 cups per cubic foot ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #4 old shol4evr, Feb 26, 2020
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  5. All rock dusts are not created equal, I would use basalt, granite, or glacial rock dust instead. If you use the rock phosphate, you'll have to be careful not to over do it with phosphorus. Also, I don't use RP because of heavy metal concerns.

This is the stuff I use; Microfine Basalt 35#

Keep in mind rock dust isn't strictly necessary, and you can over do it. Less is more with a lot of this stuff.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Google or search YouTube for rock dust myth. You'll find a handful of growers who ran controlled tests in their garden with azomite and basalt and it decreased their yield by 33% for 3 or more years . Don't mix your soil based on pot growers advice. Stick to real farmers advice and scientific studies. Click the link in my signature to see my grow journal where I don't use ANY of the nonsense recommend on this forum and I doubt anyone growing on here can match my results

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. #7 GroBro420, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020

Screenshot_20200226-185447.png

Screenshot_20200226-185835.png

Screenshot_20200226-185829.png

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Check out the No Till Revisited thread to see where multiple people gave him info saying otherwise. We can all help anyone with rock dust or growing questions outdoor or indoor. Just as long as you’re not condescending like GroBro. He likes to sucker punch shitty comments then when he gets a reaction try to say the person is acting out.

9. #9 GroBro420, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020

There's literally more videos and scientific studies than I can post in one sitting.

Screenshot_20200226-190427.png

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Anyone who comes across this thread, I posted 7 videos from 4 different gardeners who all had done field trials and gotten their harvest scientifically tested for brix and nutrient density. All lab results showed rock dust had less brix and less nutrients than their control.

You can listen to science and knowledge or some raging dude who literally didn't post a single bit of scientific evidence to prove rock dust does what he THINKS it does.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Then don't and try looking at some university information instead.

topsoil is formed through weatherization of rocks and takes a really long time. topsoil is where all the fertilizer is in outdoor soil. PNW is made of basalt and glacial rock and that is why the soil in our area is so great. its due to rocks. same rocks you say will hurt yield.

for anyone coming across this thread, may it be apparent that the ignore feature doesn't work and grobro can't help himself to look at what i post so he really does not truly have control over his own emotions. can't even handle being told he is wrong so he posts a bunch of rhetoric trying to prove his theory. anyone willing to read some of the info in GiMiK's Library can see for themselves or you can take the word of someone posting youtube vids and claims he has been growing since he was 8 years old and has fungus gnats stuck all over his buds....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Here's a global resource with global studies citing real world agricultural results dispelling your doomsday videos.

Remineralize the Earth

I'm about fed up with your arrogant behavior here. You delete your first account after starting argument after argument, then return and immediately ban about 15 members from your journal that disagreed with you.

To boldly state that nobody on this site can grow as well as you is laughable. I think it's time you step back and assimilate here or move on to another site.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. I've assimilated just fine. There's plenty of normal emotional stable people posting with me in my grow journal and I in theirs

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Did you even watch the videos before you posted them...both growers use rock dust, the first video just said it can be overpriced and the second one from growyourowngreens.com is also a pro rock dust video. I mean the man litterally has a section on his channel that is called (i shit you not) : #1 key to my success: rock dust and soil remineralization.

BTW there are also a bunch of videos on youtube claiming the benefits of drinking pee or turpentine.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. you posted a link the other day to icmag showing you're a member there. maybe try that place? it's super friendly and they love youtube videos. :D

16. #16 old shol4evr, Feb 26, 2020
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  17. OP, rock phosphate probably isn’t the best choice for a rock dust. Basalt, glacial and granite dust are probably better choices. Try to find the finest grade you can. It should be a flour like consistency. Respirator or at least a dust mask should be used when mixing/applying this material.
    RD

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I came across this article and sorry to bring up an old thread but I just wanted to clear up some of the cherry picked BS that GB420 posted incase anyone comes across this looking for answers.

The reduced yield and growth from the Jones et all, 2009 article is due to the growing mix they used. The plants in the trial were grown in either green waste compost, a commercial peat based compost used as the control, or the rock dust compost mix which they had at a 30:70 rock dust:compost ratio.

In short rock dust is good just not when it's 30% of your soil mix.