Rock Dust

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Sep 22, 2012.

1. ^you're right about that!

2. in my trade we say, "work smarter, not harder"

3. I concur, but if I use this soil again, it will only continue adding benefit, right? I know I would be better off letting it all cook another month, but... it's just not gonna happen. :laughing:

I've blown through almost $2,000 and I have yet to put plant to dirt! :eek::laughing: The electrician is in the garage now installing some fresh outlets and wiring, their went $185. BUT, ONLY $185. Guy is a journeyman electrician who does work under the table for cash :smoke: Rambling... stoned :smoking:

I think it's going to be pretty top notch for a first grow. I hope so anyway :eek:

EDIT: Jerry, if you read this, since you mentioned top dressing with EWC, how many inches do you add? These are going to be in #7 smart pots. Thanks, man.

4. KH, I was really only meaning "ideally". You'll be just fine. 2K must include lighting, et al?

In a #7 smart pot I would work a cup or so of castings into the top couple of inches. I also like using vermicompost and regular compost as mulch.

J

5. Thanks for the info, Jerry. I just want to make sure I am still pointing the right direction. :D You're a tremendous help! The $2k is basically everything I have spent as a result of starting this grow, so, that does include some things like saw horses and paint, caulk, some misc items. But yeah, $185 for an electrician, the dirt and amendments cost around $250 (but that includes some mistakes :eek:), 440CFM exhaust with carbon filter, Sun System Magnum XXXL 6" hood, Hortilux Super Blue 1000w bulb, ballast, all that, runs me up to almost $2k. I need a few more things and then, of course, the clones. And I'll be pretty much right at that mark, yeah.

I just tend to go all out when I do things... :eek:

I realize I can go much further than this, but seemed pretty good for a start. Can't wait to get it all installed and pics up ASAP in my journal.

Thanks for the tips on the top dressing. :smoke:

And sorry for the temporary thread hijack!

To return the conversation to rock dust... how about I look into sourcing some azomite and using that as my extra cup or so as an amendment in my soil? Effects supposed to be similar in terms of stimulating fungal growth? I just figured I may as well add diversity where I can. Thanks again, Jerry and all!

6. You really need 2 batches of soil. When you get done with this batch, it will be in the form of your smartpots and the rootballs will need about a month to break down before you can use your soil again. So, what are you gonna do with that month, wait? If your ok with that, then wait it out. If you are wanting to start another run as soon as this one is over, then I would have a second batch waiting and ready.

7. lol, funny, I just posted over in my grow journal that I want to start cooking another soil very very soon :smoke:

I have a pretty good recipe in mind and am planning to make it from scratch (no ProMix) this time and have a lot more diversity. Thanks for the input :D

8. Irie, I've never waited. The very same day of harvest I've always dug a little hole removing the main stem (1 gallon size) and drop a vegging 1 gallon plant right in this hole and into the veg area it goes for a month or so.

Might not be perfect for everyone but its worked very well for me.

J

Edit: it's always a good idea to think ahead though and have more soil ready to go. It's not like it can nutrient cycle for too long!

9. Alright buddy, you got me. A No-till setup will basically void what i said.

10. My outdoor plot will just chill until next year. Before planting I plan to top dress with a mix of ewc, rock dust and kelp. Mostly ewc for the mix tho. I plan on running 2 seperate batches for my indoor tho. Once this first mix gets put in immediately make a second mix which will be my next run once this first one is done. Recycle the first one while the second run goes and then go back to the first run mix for #3. Then when 3 is done....you get the picture. I'm an Aaron Rodgers loving, non-Green Bay resident, Soil Packer son!

11. It's weird how it works sometimes - but so very cool. I've had plants that were so root bound it seems that they gobbled up all the soil - all gone. That's why I like using larger sized pots too - it's amazing, with the bacteria thing happening just how quickly they (old dead roots) disappear.

Wasn't trying to "get you" Irie - hope you know that. Hope it didn't come out the wrong way.

I'm actually procrastinating now myself. I need to get soil mixed myself in a bad way so that it has time to cycle. I've got everything but some ProMix and some castings - just need to get off my butt and do it.

J

12. I do know that Jerry. Not offended. You've got a pretty friendly mind. I know that by now.

13. bump-sticky this please

14. #96 al k mist, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
    As usual, Jerry, stellar info.
    Curious, since theres a 50# sack in the shed, but on pg 3 or 4 there was a quote about rock dust being better than diatomaceous earth. But, is DE suitable, when building a soil, to use in place of actual rock dust, or in conjuncture with? Id hate to see it not used, and the goats are no longer around, so the kelp(which never really was the goats stuff anyways, I just shared a bit :) ) and the DE need a use. Kelp, covered! DE as topdressing sure, but in building a soil?
    As usual, your advice on these matters is appriciated.
    after reading the first few pgs when looking up fungal dominant tea, I put a few tablespoons of basalt dust( "volcanic cinders" ) in the tea pouch, along with the EWC, pinch of kelp, organic cane sugar, and a spoonful of azomite, although I think it was pointless(itll go in the compost anyways). So thanks for your advice, dude. (~);}

• Like Like x 1
  15. how much rock dust for a 4 gallon pot?
    1 cup?

16. No, definitely more. You can do 4-5 cups per cubic foot and a cubic foot is 7.5 gallons.

So for a 4 gallon pot you'd probably want around 3 cups. Just make sure your mix is properly aerated since it tends to gum up the soil a bit.

17. Maybe this can give some better perspective on how much rock dust is too much.

[​IMG]

18. Beautiful! What kind of plant is that SD?