Rock Dust

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Find a business that cuts tombstones and monuments. I have asked at two different locations and am offered all I can take away for free, one place said I could take it by the truckload if I load it. The dust from the rock saw is definitely flour consistency, If you go to one of these places bring twice as many buckets as you need and fill half or less so you will be able to lift the bucket. A 5G bucket full will weigh 90-100#. I cannot believe people pay to ship rocks.

PW

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. I know this is an old thread. But, most of you folks are still around. I live in an area that is heavily mined for limestone and basalt. We have large veins of grey basalt clay on our property. Would I be correct in thinking this is just basalt micro-fines? When dried it is a powder.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I hope so, i got that on my property too. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The basalt rock dust we buy achieves its fine particle size by physical means. Clays formed from basalt achieve their particle size and formation from chemical processes.

If they are both of the same particle size I don’t think they is a whole heckuva lot of difference.

In practical terms I like to add clays and silts to my compost bins or worm bins.

Years ago kaolinite and montomorillite (sp) clays were part of the “mineral mix” Coot was experimenting with.

Still wish I had a better answer for ya.
    RD

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thanks for the reply ElRanchoDeluxe. I do remember reading of Coots experiment with different clay's. But, I didn't remember him posting any results about their use. It's possible I just forgot and need to re-read those old posts. He also never used basalt clay. I have been adding it to my compost and run that through my worm bins for a few years now. Thanks again ElRanchoDeluxe.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The early stages of basalt weathering form primarily smectite clay which then transitions into kaolinite/halloysite/iron oxide geothite.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Reading comprehension has never been my strong suite. This is one of the sites I used to research.

Weathering & Clay Minerals

I understand there are different types of basalt. Ours is dark grey in the northeastern region of the US. The research I find about the clays you've listed are all white to ivory colored and look completely different then we have here. I guess I'll need to keep on trying to comprehend what I'm reading and do more research. Thanks again ElRanchoDeluxe for steering me in the right direct for further research.

• Like Like x 4
  8. @FunTimeGrowHap would be the person to ask about this. Maybe he'll swing in here one of these days. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. I haven't seen him post for quite a while, is he still around?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think he checks in every once in a while. Couldn't hurt to shoot him a pm. Funtimes is definitely the geology expert. @FunTimeGrowHap where ya at dude?! ;)

11. Thanks Patanjali, I find I learn more from researching these things myself. Just needed a push in the right direction. If he happens to see this and has some insight I'm happy to learn from his knowledge.

• Like Like x 3