RO Water

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tplat, Aug 5, 2010.

1. #1 tplat, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
    I decided to try some Culligan RO water from Wal Mart so I went and bought two 3 gallon containers and filled them up. To get the PH close to 6.5 I had to add about 5 millileters of PH up. Just curious if anyone else is using RO water has to PH up thier RO water and by how much?

2. ro is great...i use coco so i gotta ph down mine...but not much cause the nutes take it down...much easier to know what ya got going in...my city water sucks ass...clorimine...ph buffer...ph it to 5.8 and next day its 6.5..would work great for you..it just takes time to get all the factors working for you...good luck:wave:

3. Just soil growing and slowly getting the PH when I water and or feed the plants around 6.5. Their all around 3 feet tall now and getting the rooms light leaks sealed up to get ready to start flowering.

4. Perfect RO water will always be PH 7.0 give or take. Thats totally neutral, and normal.

Adding nutes to the water lowers the PH to where I need it. If I am not adding nutes, then yes, I adjust the PH with some PH down.

5. really because i use to work with industrial ro systems and there a pH of 5 when it removes everything from the water.

if your doing just soil i wouldn't waste money on ro water unless your city water is really bad.

i personally believe ro is good for hydro grows

6. The RO water`s PH was 5 when I tested it. We have hard water, it doesnt taste bad but it has alot of calcium and magnesium in it, it will leave whitish water stains on your car windows and car body. Sometimes our tap water`s PH is in the 6.8-7.3 or so range.

7. oh you have very hard city water then....i can see that causing lots of problems with scaleing

8. The pH of pure water is 7.0. I run the merlin garden pro with the Tall blue prefilter and the pressure booster pump. I'm on well water that is pretty good to begin with, 120 PPM. The clean water output is always exactly at 7 and the PPM is never above 4 PPM.

I did find this little article about RO water with low pH levels, and it has to do with dissolved gasses in the water source.

IS PH OF RO PERMEATE REALLY LOWER THAN THE FEED-WATER PH?

So, it sounds like when the source has large amount of Co2 dissolved, the pH of the permeate will be low.

Also looks like the acidic water problem can be corrected pretty easily.

9. Don't mean this is an offensive manner, but yes really. Pure RO water (if everything is truly removed) is a neutral 7.0. I buy my RO water from several different fish stores in my area, and they all hover around 7.0, mostly in the high 6's.

10. well the big systems i ran that produced 600gpm they were low and you won't get that quality of water from local stores

the membranes had a 98% rejection rate bring the conductivity down from 300mu to 5mu

they stores probably use 87% rejection.

and real "pure" water won't come from an ro you have to go to the next step with is deionized water and then it gets measured in resisitivey.
    so thats funny when we think RO is pure water. Pure water is and expencive process.

18 megomes is the purest it can get and they only use that water in semi condutors or pharisudical , automotive industries.

that water is so clean it will not conduct electricty. in theary. but any impuarity introduced into it will lower the resistance. you cant even drink "pure water" this ro water makes carbonic acid and lowers the pH of the water

its known as agressive water and the electrons are out of bablance from ions being removed and want to be in balance so it actually pulls ions into the water

ie. if you washed your hands with that water it will pull the oils of your skin. they use it in cleaning computer chips so it pulls all the very very small dirt paritcals off the chip to prevent arcing.

so i was just stoned last night and had to go on about the "pure water"

didn't me to go on like this........

11. My family has owned this home since 1957 and I remember since high school, the mid 80`s that if you dont want water stains on your car you dont wash it at home you take it to the self serve car wash, other then that it doesnt taste bad to drink.

12. car washes use softerners

13. Softening aint ROing
    Softening you replace a calcium ion with a sodium ion on a 1:1 basis
    400 ppm in - 400ppm out

ROing
    Press water against a membrane with 0.001 to 0.0001 micron "holes"
    400 ppm in - 0 ppm out (hopefully)

De-ion = trap all ions into epoxy matrix
    hopefully - 0 ppm out

Has nothing to do with pH.
    pH is the balance between H+ and OH- (as in H2O).

14. you will never get o ppm out of an ro

and the pH is a affected from the disolved gasses in the water