RO water .....

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by joe_fresh, Jan 29, 2010.

1. I was wondering the same things. I have like 2/3 water coming outa my waste and 1/3 water coming outa my clean... is this what everyone else is dealing with?

2. #22 StinkBomb, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
    No it isn't normal. I have been running the entire Merlin system with every option possible, from the booster pumps, to electronic shut off, tall blue pre filters, green Eco flow reducer, etc....

I pulled the solenoid out of the mix because it is a piece of shit and overheats and fails. The kit has a float for the electronic shutoff, but also a backup float that just manually stops the flow of fresh water. I expected the waste water to keep running set up this way, but when the float lifts and plugs the blue line, the waste line stops running too. I was told the waste water would keep running, but it does not.

My well water comes out of the tap at 130 ppm, comes out of the tall blues at around 90 ppm, and comes out of the Merlin at between 0 and 5 ppm. My water is so good to begin with, the RO is probably a waste, but it is nice to know exactly what is in there and in what proportions.

I use Hanna and Blue Lab meters to double check accuracy, and I clean and calibrate them regularly.

3. I also have the digital TDS monitor that gives readings on the water at different points along the journey through the system.

You did buy a nice setup. Mine has been going strong over a year and it is still producing like the day I got it. You will have to clean your filters much more often with a starting TDS of 800. The tall blue pre filter might be a worthwhile investment for you.

4. Usual R/O conversion is 3 to 1.

3 gallons for 1 gallon.

5. 3 gallons of waste 1 gallon of clean?

6. 3 gallons of source for 1 gal "clean" & 2 gal "waste".

3 for 1.