River Water?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by maffu, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Hi, I've started my first grow and I've been using ph'd tap water for my plants. I live close to a river though and was wondering if it would be beneficial (or harmful) to use it in my plants? Figured I'd ask to see if someone has done it before I just went ahead and tried it lol. Thanks in advance!

2. if its like the river near me, then that's filled with disease pollution .......

wouldn't try it myself

3. If it really was that terrible though, how would plants be able to grow right along side it?

4. Depends on how nasty the river is, towns dumping sewage, storm drains from oily streets and other crap makes a difference.

5. The water gets filtered through the soil...but if you see heavy vegetation along the river, it's a good sign.

6. #6 leodicapario, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
    if its a steady flowing river and its in the usa im sure youre missing out on alot of minerals and stuff thats taken out of the water after processed and piped to your house....

river water, lake, pond, dont matter i would use that... ive even read in some instances ditch water is the best for your plant.

7. i catch rain water and store it for weeks..,, usually, the last one to get used has a pretty bad smell to it and its cooking sorta. it doesnt matter to the plant.

8. Hmmm…

I wonder if I should haul water from the lake that I live on every few days. We have a boat dock in our back yard. I never considered using the water. Plenty of plant/animal life.

🍁CajunZombieKiller🍁

9. careful it is public water.. but i dont see you hauling barrels full of it.. should be ok.

10. It's a public lake, but we live off a little cove with no one else around us for a mile at least. We go down to the dock every day.

🍁Smoke 'em if you got 'em🍁

11. #11 LuxSpiritus, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
    You'd be inhaling all the piss from the fish in that lake, I think Urea actually has a positive affect on plants but i am not sure.

12. unfortunately that's impossible...

thats like saying since i put bat guano as a fertilizer we're all smoking bat shit.

13. It was meant for humor. I used a creek before. I actually believe algea is a good sign cause algae is anti-bacterial so the water wouldn't be as contaminated. I personally don't trust lake water. Won't even swim in it. Using runoff isn't a bad idea. If you could incorporate it.

14. The main source of water for wild plants is rain, which is generally clean.  Not ponds or lakes.  I think using clean water and good soil is the best way to go.  There may be beneficial stuff in fresh water, but there's also a lot of harmful stuff as well.  Parasites and bacteria to name a few.  

15. there's harmful bacteria everywhere... but i believe if you have a good living soil anything thats bad is going to get eaten up as food for my good microbes, especially when i apply teas...

16. I tested the Ph and it is around 8. I don't trust it enough to try it with all the crap that could be in it too. Thanks for your input blades :)