Rise of the Drones

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by 14grams, Jan 24, 2013.

1. How does GC feel about an uprising of drone technology?

MIT says fedex packages/mail will be delivered using drones instead of postmen in the next 3-7 years.

In fact for $300 you can buy your own drone, equipped with camera and laser sensors, that is operated via iphone/ipad.

Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 - Apple Store (U.S.)

This technology is coming up in a major way. Old Sci-Fi movies are starting to look like non fiction. Waves of robots fighting on a battleground as apposed to human soldiers.. The Future is upon us...

2. Hey I want to know how much for a drone to watch over my Special frost bitten lemonade greenhouse bounty.

3. $300 Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 - Apple Store (U.S.)

i'm sure you could find cheaper, or more expensive. even a missile perhaps

4. The post office is horribly inneffiecient as it is. Theres no way they will be able to maintain a complex system of robots.

Mabye for bulk shipments for big companies but I think it will be more than sseven years before its all automated. You'd need computerized infracstructure to have it run smoothly and thats hellishly expensive compared to just hiring a guy to drive a truck around.

5. Sooner or later . Its going to look like I robot :/

6. I feel personally that 90% of drones will be used to spy on women undressing or bathing.

7. The government defense is investing HEAVILY in drone technology and the cost is going to come down, plus they will be more commercially used.

Just like the government has invested in microchips, now microchips are cheap and there is now a commercial market for them.

We're closer than you think...

8. Having worked for a certain large package handling company, I can tell you there are alot of things humans can do that machines won't be able to do unless there is massive mechanized infrastructure in place. Streets in most towns are laid out in a very orderly fashion for one thing.

9. this technology is killing thousands of innocent lives

10. True i agree that we still have a ways to go but its not out of reach

11. Fasho want one of those, maybe bigger though, so i can add some stuff.

12. There is no way that just having someone drive packages will ever be more expensive than building massive infrastructure in every place you need to serve and then using drones to deliver packages and then plus the cost of maintaining it and all the law suits they will experience when the drone crashes into something or drops a package in the wrong place.

13. We would be killing them anyway.

Obama wants the brown kids dead. If he didn't have drones he would use planes.

The technology itself is not bad

14. okay no.. Legal issues are not relevant, the government would be in control. US postal service is a large corporation that i'm sure would have no trouble getting clearance to build.

In the long run it would be astronomically more efficient and cheaper, than hiring physical human beings, who you have to pay.

Machines need repairs and maintenance just every so often, but aside from that they are astoundingly more efficient, accurate and precise.

15. The government gets sued for fucking up all the time. I'm saying the system will probably malfunction at some point and it will destroy someones property.

And its gonna have to be a giant drone to carry the thousands of pounds of packages that companies like UPS and Fedex move. UPS and Fedex are already better and bigger than the post office. If the government does do it, they will only have an advanatge if they are the ones in total control of drone technology, which the won't be for long. If theres money to be made someone will figure out a way to do it cheaper.

16. bam. you nailed it.

17. And the cheaper way will not be to build massive infrastructure for residential delivery.

I can see it happening for big corps for bulk shipments

18. Why do we need massive infrastructures? Drones fly and use laser detectors so they don't bump into anything. GPS navigates them on their path.

19. In a city with a million moving parts that doesn't seem like it would work. Plus how is a drone going to fly and carry thousands of pounds of weight in packages? Plus who's gonna organize the packages so the drone drops the right ones at the right places?