Ripped my walls right off...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Johny Apple DWC, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Lol, yea so I have a few ventilation issues. Especially now that I'm switching over for the cooler part of the year. So there seems to be so much suction it tore my panda film right off the walls in my flowering area. I've been trying to correct it all day. I sawed a hole in the ceiling and into my living quarters and even moved my 400 cfm to help suck air from the holes but there is still a large amount of suction. Should I just keep sawing holes in the ceiling till the pressure equals out or what ? Also can I draw air from my ceiling and through my lights without worrying about noise from the fan outside ??? Life was easier with AC and Co2... but running an AC in December... yea you get the idea.

2. As long as I'm on the subject here how about fan likes and dislikes. Can anyone recommend a quiet high speed inline fan ? Peoples personal favorites ?

3. You can mount your fan on some rubber feet to reduce vibrations and or you can build a box around it to muffle the sound and you can also buy a fan speed controll and turn the fan down.

High Tech Garden Supply

4. ok heres the deal that i think alot of people don't understand, and as a preface im an Civil engineering major so i actually know what im talking about because i learned this from professionals (and can now apply it for things like growing :D). Air actually behaves just like water when it comes to pressure situations like yours. For water, the flow rate is calculated by the formula Q=VA, where Q is the flow rate of the water, A is the Cross sectional area of the location in question, and V is the velocity of the water. Air follows this formula also so if you have a passive intake then the speed of the suction (V) of the air that is being pulled in is governed by the Area of the opening (A) for your intake. You can make the suction lower by making the hole bigger or cutting additional holes to create a larger A. Just remember that you want to keep a good airflow going on your plants to not only strengthen the stems but also to prevent mold.

So your solutions are:

1) Get a speed controller for your fan (this will make the flow going out of the box less meaning that there will be less flow entering because the pressure differential of the inside of the box will be closer to equalizing with the atmospheric pressure)

2) Cut more intake holes

3) increase the size of the present intake hole

Thats it man i hope i could help you out and good luck on your grow :D

5. oh and you should cut the holes for the intake near the bottom your grow area assuming your exhaust is near the top. this will allow the air to flow up over your plants and then out the exhaust up top.

6. lol, i found this very entertaining. while its cool to know the formula, i think its funny that all that info resulted in the most obvious answers or slowing the fan speed or increasing the size/quantity of intake holes. i didnt even get through my second year of junior college and that was all pretty obvious. :p

7. #7 chrisnojen117, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
    haha well beachbum i thought id just throw that out there. its like the saying " if you give a man a fish you feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." :D and i was giving him some real info that was backed up by facts (as obvious as it was lol) instead of alot of people on GC that just give advice that they really shouldn't or have no proof is correct. but don't get me wrong GC is awesome. lol just covering my ass and giving a little class on Newtonian Physics at the same time :D

happy growing people

8. Eclipse inline fans are friggin money!

My 6" inline pushes 605cfm and makes a Tiny bit more noise than an oscillating fan.. Definitely impressed! And comes with a nice warranty as well..