RIP hip-hop 1990-1999

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by NEsurfr, May 5, 2011.

1. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChaXS3Naje4v[/ame]

2. I agree! cool song [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oENrgffA5VI]YouTube - KRS One - Sound Of Da Police[/ame]

3. It gets on my nerves when people say Hip Hop is dead.

4. i cant sleep for shit so

ya an some asshole said the same thing in 89 about dbags in hitop pumps wearin headbands an skinny jeans and look whos back

so maybe pac ell show back up in 10 years but until then i'll fux with royce, em, obie, dre, ugk, screw, cassidy, az, nas, jadakiss wu tang or any number of artists that are still doin it hard

but i guess you'd rather bitch that its not 1990 anymore.. hey buddy i was there and it wasnt as cool as everyone makes it out to be.

have fun bein white an listening to rap in the early 90s too. ghetto black folks thought wigger was the most clever term ever invented. lot of people seem to forget but most ghetto black folks were racist as fuck with rap in the 90s. maybe not in mainstream tracks but the streets were fucked up.

5. Yeah all my white friends who are big 90s hip hop heads talk about how they wish it was the 90s again so we could have all the best rappers and what not. But so much of that was rap about being against the white cops, or political rap about black power. They were good rappers, but it was something most white people were not fucking with at the time. Being white and listening to rap made it easy for these ghetto black folks to pin them as a wigger. It's not right, but it's true. It is hard for these white kids to realize it because hip hop has become so accepted and diverse. Now everyone and their brother is rapping. All races. But before that rap was seen as a taboo genre to most races outside of african americans.

Like I said, take some of these kids saying shit about how hip hop is dead and we need to be in the 90s again, and I bet none of them would have been listening to rap growing up in that era.

6. read more closely next time, i said IN MY OPINION, raps best years were 90-99.

7. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFwn1G_NZU]YouTube - Eminem & Royce Da 5'9'' - Fast Lane[/ame]

its all good royce found some shock paddles in his crib, Hip hops alive again.

8. not techno, definitely not techno, DUBSTEP i could see...every damn song i hear seems to sound more and more like it on the radio

9. yeah I'm not good at keeping up with whats popular. But I do notice a general step towards an electronic sound with popular music.

10. I said 90's legends can't be compared to modern rappers, so you throw out a song called "rappers delight" from not the 90's and give me the lyrics and post like you're saying anything or making a point to me, i'm not trying to come off as an asshole but "metaphors non existent" and the other shit you've said is not only arguably wrong but not even relevant to my post, i was talking about how they say "DO U LIKE THE SAME OLD SOUND" and then you make this, wtf.

11. wtf is this thread?

close it

12. i put up rapper's delight because its known as one of the best rap/hip hop songs of all time. if you want, i can find a 90's song and do the same thing. and as far as the metaphor lines go, there's so much more difficulty in todays rap than the 90's, and that's all i was trying to get across.

13. you confuse the hell out of me, if you want, i can find 99% of 2000's song and do the same thing. ;)

14. find the top songs of each year of the 2000's and compare them to the top songs of each year in the 90's and see which ones have more difficulty and vocabulary.

and lets be honest, 99%? at least be realistic and say 98% :p

15. all im sayin is lil wayne has rapped about grilled cheese on more than one song. that says something to me:cool:

16. and notorious b.i.g has rapped about sucking a dudes dick.

there's variety in every artist, every mixtape, every album, every genre. you just have to sift through the rocks to find the gold.

17. oh i know, don't get me wrong i don't blindly hate lil wayne, he does have some good shit, and his stuff is great in clubs, i just mean that the guy saying how rap artists in the 90's used stupid/simple metaphors and people nowadays use clever ones isnt exactly correct...

18. i'm not saying that. i'm saying that the artists now have to use more clever metaphors in order to not be considered "biters" of rappers past. and i'm not a fan of wayne at all. and yes, of course you're going to have stupid ass metaphors, but i'm saying it's harder to get exposure now with dr. seuss rhymes, which is how a lot of 90's rappers were.

19. What, You dont think people in the 90s were saying something similar? They called biggie a pop rapper.

90s version of what the OP is saying, "mc hammer and vanilla ice are crap, they dont compare to real rappers like: krs one, rakim, kane, kool moo dee, etc.

The 90s has the benefit of hindsight. Wait 10-20 years, people are gonna be saying " today's rappers arent as good as kanye,wayne,wale,fabolous, Lupe, etc