ring around the moon?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cold Beahs, Mar 15, 2011.

1. does anybody else see that? or is it only in my area. my buddy who lives about 10 miles away called and told me to look

2. wathcu talking bout willis?

3. Is this a game? Do we all fall down?

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OTs9KCHHzQ]YouTube - Practical Magic - Sally's letter to Gilly[/ame]

5. Going to go out on a limb and assume you're looking at a lunar halo

[​IMG]

Occurs when light is refracted through suspended ice crystals at a certain angle (I want to say 22-23 degrees). I was surprised the first time I saw it too, cool shit

6. ya it happens every once and awhile

i forgot what its called but im gonna google it and gain that knowledge in 10 seconds

7. Means bad weathers a comin

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmEGm-mraE]YouTube - Creedence Clearwater Revival: Bad Moon Rising[/ame]

8. boom

[​IMG]

"The moon can produce interesting optical effects when conditions are right. The most common of which are moon rings, moon bows, which are similar to rainbows, moon dogs and moon pillars. A rainbow is produced when sunlight is refracted through water droplets - A similar effect is produced when moon light refracts through ice crystals."

[​IMG]

"Anatomy of a Moon Halo
    The ring that appears around the moon arises from light passing through six-sided ice crystals high in the atmosphere. These ice crystals refract, or bend, light in the same manner that a camera lens bends light. The ring has a diameter of 22 , and sometimes, if you are lucky, it is also possible to detect a second ring, 44 diameter. Thin high cirrus clouds lofting at 20,000 feet or more contain tiny ice crystals that originate from the freezing of super cooled water droplets. These crystals behave like jewels refracting and reflecting in different directions.

Cloud crystals are varieties of hexagonal prisms, (6 sides) and range in shapes from long columns to thin plate-like shapes that have different face sizes."

I love the internet

9. yeah pretty cool. i looked i up just a second ago. i thought some crazy shit was about to go down:D