right?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Digit, May 6, 2003.

?

which best represents your outlook?

1. I want the information I have to be right

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I want to have the right information

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. there is no such thing as right. for lack of a better term, there is only acuracy of a perception

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. what

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wanting to be right...

its a strange topic.

nearly everyone wants to be right.

but do you want the information you have to be right?
    or do you want to have the right information?

2. It doesn't matter. My english teacher always told us it doesn't matter if you're right as long as you can support your claims. And then my boss always told me, "If you can't impress them with your smarts, baffle them with bullshit." All you have to do is be able to bullshit info to support yourself. The trick is to make people think you're right and not suspect you're just bullshitting.

3. and thats why society is fucking screwed.

no sence of logic or honesty.

4. I want to have the right information. I need to have the right information so that the information I have can be right.

I'm not going to just give out information without knowing first that I have something to back up the information that I'm giving out. I can't just state something and count on it being right therefore I need to have the right information to begin with in order for the information to be right. It's a circle but it has to have some originating point to begin with and that point has to be the right information...not what you want the information to be.

Damn, Digit...it's not so much a strange topic as it is a strange one to explain.

5. ya know, 2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do!

I'd rather have the right information, because that by default then makes you right, although right is sometimes based on perception

Peace

6. hehe, i like your take on it too toosicks.... which could be interpreted two ways itself... the turning one (which i think u intended) and if someone was a leftwinger who felt tripple strong about their views they would pop out the other side and beome some strange hybrid of a facist.

but...

Brilliant rumjil, juuuuust brilliant rumjil.

7. l would love to have the right imformatiom ,but its who,s right that l get confussed over ,lol.p.s. l voted no 3.the reality one .

8. im confused, i just pick the 2nd one! i want the right info!

9. who,s right imformation would you like ??????????????yours ,mine or theirs ????

10. its all a matter of perception. what i see as blue you might see as green.

11. Now thats the right information in reality!!!!^^^^

I'm with critter on this!

12. Just so everyone knows, I couldn't decide between wanting the right info and wanting my info to be right so I BSed my first post. When in doubt, change the subject.

and I still haven't decided.

13. That's very hard.....I need to think about this more.

14. what's right is based on perception, but also on circumstance

I was just gonna pop into this thread and say 'right is what you make it" but then i thought; to make something you need material don't you? personally I believe that anything, be it a tangible object or a concept can be seperated into seperate terms and then put back together in the way that makes the most sense to the observer. Which means that ultimately we can and will understand everything. But there's a problem, there's any number of things that we can think we're right about but coincidence and circumstance can mess things up. Everyone here can agree that cars run of gasoline (or petrol or whatever you wanna call it). But we could be wrong because it could turn out that all this time everyone that ever turned on a car or pressed down on a gas pedal had actually fallen into a set of extraneous but inconspicuous circumstances that cause the car to go despite the fact that gas doesn't actually make cars go vroom. Maybe everytime we thought we and our gasoline were moving a big chunk of metal around it was actually a bunch of invisible leprechauns pushing us, making car noises with their lips, but we'll never know because we can't see them and they'll only do it when we put gas in our cars and try to drive.

So I'm going to say that you're right as long as current knowledge and circumstance can't prove you completely wrong, with or without bullshit, but this also means you can't be completely right, and it also might mean that another time, when we have better (or at least different) knowledge and circumstance you could be wrong.

edit: those choices don't all contradict each other Digit, maybe you should have made it multiple choice.

15. I of course want to have the most honest and correct information possible-doesn't everyone? Sometimes the truth hurts and it is easier to just hear lies but in the end that doesn't get you where you need to be in life. I would rather have somebody just tell it like it is then be lied to. I have lied many times and been lied to but I think the world would be a much better place if everyone was just truthful and stopped bullshitting. That is a huge goal for me-to just be honest. Especially with myself.

16. DOH!

17. lol

erm, yes

nice point.

however this boils down to definitions.

right: truth, opposite of wrong

... and semantics ...

truth: not proved / perceived as wrong

then you have to break it down to subjective and objective right / truth.

subjective truth: whatever one believe is right, duh...

objective truth: what is right.

how can we find the objective truth, now that is a question!

i'm pretty screwed up, so i can handle this problem :)

18. WOOHOO! (hmm two homer quotes... i need help)

thnx Zy.
    i couldnt have addressed the topic better if i was given a year.

*round of applause*

19. thats just sexist and arogant. :p

asuming you believe in the concept of right and wrong, to an extent, that is right.

unfortunately many people miss the first part and just want to be right regardless of how right they really are.

20. digit...you got yourself banned by wanting to be right regardless of weather you were or not;):smoke:

there is alot of information i would like to have ...and know is right....
    about people
    about places
    about things/ideas/whatever

but this life keeps showing me that the minuet i think i know anything(whats right)....something changes...and what was right is now wrong or what i thought i knew is now gone...and so i start all over again.....and again.....and again.....and again.....