Ricky Williams Retiring from Football

Discussion in 'General' started by s0ad05, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Ricky Williams after 5 years has told the Dolphins that he is retiring from football. Ricky has been known to smoke dope and the NFL has been on his back since he got in the league.

Many people dont know but Ricky Williams has a personality disorder. He doesn't like to be in big groups or to be singled out. His first few years with the New Orleans Saints he wore his helmet during interviews because he was afraid.

Ricky smokes to calm this disorder that he has but the NFL continued to make him stop smoking.

Well Ricky is retiring now and he has bought a one way ticket to Asia and he does not plan on coming back.

Ricky was a Heisman trophy winner and a very dominate running back.

This is coming from a New England Patriot fan. Good luck Ricky and continue to smoke to ease your lifestyle.

2. No, no, no...say it isn't so!!!!!!! :(

Where's a link for this? I have to read it myself.

I know he has the personality thing and deals with serious anxiety but he can't retire!!! He's too damn good!!!!

3. It's funny that he retired right after the last decent RB signed with a team so now the dolphins can't even go after someone new.

Williams is a very good running back. If you watched him play he had low YPC because every single time he had the ball he was swarmed by defenders. The Dolphins had jack for a passing game(so that's 8 men in the box, every down) and a horrid OL that couldn't block anyone. Williams was getting better and better each year and might have been someone special this year.

On a side note running backs tend to retire early anyway. There's only so many times you can get slammed around before you realize it isn't fun anymore. Add in daily practices in the scorching sun and you have a very unpleasent job. It just isn't worth it to punish your body when you got millions of dollars.

Did he really smoke for his social anxiety disorder? I never knew that. I do know he is very intelligent and fond of reading and meditating. If he uses MJ it's probably for both medical and spiritual purposes.

4. Thanks!

As long as he's happy, that's all that matters. Damn, I'm going to miss watching him play. It's apparently what's best for him, though.

5. Ricky had horrible coaches and horrible qbs.

yeah i remember him explaining why he smoked pot and no one listened because everyone thinks pot kills people...dumbasses

I always felt bad for Ricky because the media were always assholes to him.

I hope he finds peace.

6. Ok so I just smoked a bowl and I'm on some website reading a football article (i follow the nfl..) so anyway, there is an article about Ricky Williams and retiring from the NFL. so i'm reading this article and its a pretty standard article and then i get to the part where they start talking about marijuana. it's like they are just bashing it and making it the sole means of him retiring. it's funny, because on ESPN last night they talked about this, and nothing was said of the word marijuana on the television, but apparantly it's ok to bash it on newspaper.

anyway, read the article, particularly from the point where the words go bold down. (i just typed bolds go word. had to edit. :] )

it's like they make marijuana to be the devil. hey maybe he just doesn't want to play football anymore. he is pursuing other things in the business world and traveling.. but no, it has to be "to smoke marijuana," destroying his life.

fuck the media. :\

7. I see what you're saying. The last sentence of the article is perhaps the most ridiculous part. After discussing the recent media attention paid to Ricky's smoking, the author implies indirectly that his use of the drug contributed to the substantial dropoff in his production last year. It's interesting to note that he ignores entirely Williams's comments about the widespread use of masking agents by NFL players. If MJ is so bad, why is it that others are capable of performing well while smoking and hiding their usage?

8. he left because he didnt want to play anymore and becuase he didnt liek his contract.

I can totally believe him on that. so many smoke and get caught and still play so i doubt that was a huge factor, although he did say it did help him make the decision. But seriously, the dolphins rely so much on him and he puts up big numbers but he gets the shit beat out of him. Im a die hard pats fan but i loved watching that guy run just because of how good he was. The dolphins gave him the ball 42 times one game last season, thats gotaa fucking take a toll on your body.

Hes already got all the money hes gonna need, so if he wasnt happy playing football, why would he continue to beat on himself game after game?

He also has a social disorder which is probably a huge factor to both why he quit and why he smokes. I think i probably have one too, and i smoke to help that shit.

They said hell never be able to come back if he wants because of the bud thing, but for one, i doubt hell ever want to come back, and if he ever does the only thing thats going to stop him is either he decided to come back to late, because hes not really that young in terms of football, or that he cant sign with someone else because he stepped out on his contract with the Dolphins. I doubt hell want to return anyway though.

9. I read somewhere that Ricky Williams suffers from severe Social Anxiety Disorder. Probably has something to do with the pot smoking. I agree with him. Good move. Fuck football. Its just a game.

10. This is a big shock for any hardcore NFL football fan. It is for me, but whether or not this article is true, it's obvious something else is going on because for someone to retire in his prime (and still young at 27) is a very rare thing. It's not like he was some washed up player who had no business playing in the NFL, but a superstar who had plenty of good years left in him.

I play in a semi-pro football league here in Wisconsin, I toke it up almost every night, but there's no drug testing so I can get away with it and feel no pressure to keep myself clean.

11. Well he does give interviews with his helmet on...

12. He has never been big on talking and being public. He used to always tell people in Austin that he was only doing it because he wanted to be able to make enough money to retire. As a longtime Ricky Williams fan I don't see this as a suprise. He made a boatload of money and now he wants to sit back outta the public eye and smoke a fat joint and laugh about his success.

Long Live Ricky Williams #5 and and #34 from his days in Austin Texas. Hook Em Horns.

13. yeah i was pretty surprised by it and upset even as a pats fan i loved to watch him run. but i read an article and it said if you were a fan of ricky and followed him throughout his career this probably wasnt a huge surprise to you.

14. man its funny how there can be two threads here at the city at the exact same time as each other, with the exact same content pretty much....

I'm going to try and merge the two ricky williams threads

and good for him. He has all the money he needs, he might as well follow his dreams and do what he wants.

15. yeah i was wondering where my thread went. ;)

he really was an incredible running back. in 2002 he rushed for 1853 yards and scored 17 touchdowns with a 4.8 ypc average.

he was an amazing running back and a definite hall of famer. it's just annoying that everyone has to blame the pot smoking on his reason for retiring.

16. He also found out he failed his 3rd drug test just 2 days before he retired. Damn he was one of my favorite players too. They just had a pretty good segment on epsn about him right now.