Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Rick Simpson Oil vs BHO for cancer

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by leeyjosh, Dec 13, 2013.

1. hi everyone, im new here! had some questions~
    my mom has cancer and she hasn't found any luck with chemo.
    i looked around to see if anyone could answer this question
    even asked some ppl at dispensaries but they either dont know or i dont understand the explanation.
    i read that the only difference is butane vs alcohol extraction.
    another thing i read said that bho needs to be heated in order to have any affect on cancer?
    some people say its the same thing.

could anyone clear this up for me so i will know what to provide for my mother?
    I would greatly appreciate any help!!

2. BHO: essentially a cold extraction of the cannabinoids and terpenes contained in the plant. The solvent evaporates at room temperature leaving the cannabinoids in their acidic form. Heating the oil to 240 F for 30 minutes will change ThcA to Thc. It is then psychoactive.
    Both forms are medicinal.
    RSO: An extraction made by soaking the plant in solvent: isopropyl alcohol, high proof alcohol(everclear), light naphtha etc. and then boiling off the solvent. There is much debate over the best solvent. If you can't taste it, no harm done.
    There are many tutorials on YouTube for making RSO with a wide variety of solvents.

Get StormCrows list. She is a well respected member on this forum. Actually on many forums.
    BadKittySmiles is a wealth of knowledge. Especially for edibles.
    http://skunkpharmresearch.com/ These people explain it all much better than I can.
    I hope this helps get you started.

All the best

3. [quote name="HarryParatestes" post="19158391" timestamp="1386994685"]BHO: essentially a cold extraction of the cannabinoids and terpenes contained in the plant. The solvent evaporates at room temperature leaving the cannabinoids in their acidic form. Heating the oil to 240 F for 30 minutes will change ThcA to Thc. It is then psychoactive.Both forms are medicinal.RSO: An extraction made by soaking the plant in solvent: isopropyl alcohol, high proof alcohol(everclear), light naphtha etc. and then boiling off the solvent. There is much debate over the best solvent. If you can't taste it, no harm done.There are many tutorials on YouTube for making RSO with a wide variety of solvents.Get StormCrows list. She is a well respected member on this forum. Actually on many forums.BadKittySmiles is a wealth of knowledge. Especially for edibles.http://skunkpharmresearch.com/ These people explain it all much better than I can. I hope this helps get you started.All the best[/quote]Very solid advice!

thank you for thank information! no one else could answer that question for me until now lol.
    so in order for BHO to have any medical affects, it needs to be heated to activate the thc?
    thanks again! i will read ur link

5. The ThcA in BHO is still medicinally active, though to a lesser degree than heated(decarboxylated) BHO. Just wanted to make that clear.
    Having said that, the cannabinoid profile of the particular strain will impact how BHO or RSO affect a person.

And I would be remiss to not tell you, start your mother on Omega 3 fish oil capsules. They help build better CB receptors, that allow the cannabis to do what it does. And lemon grass tea. Contains limonene, the terpene that gives lemons and lemon scented cannabis that lovely smell. Thank StormCrow for that one.

Also consider a 1/4 tsp of baking soda in 8 oz of water with a shot of lemon juice for flavor. Helps to make the body more alkaline. Cancer thrives in an acidic body. It may cause a low grade headache for the first week but then it passes.

Hope this helps.

All the best

6. thanks for the post, i think i read this on someone else's thread too
    its great to know there are people on this forum who help.
    you mentioned that the cannabinoid profile of the strain will affect how the oil will impact someone
    would it be smart for me to try different strains to make the oil then?
    or would mixing all of them be an idea?
    what ur saying is that a particular strain that might work for some1 might not work for another right?

7. Think in generalities,indicas tend to make people relax and sleep.Also good for pain control.
    Sativas are usually uplifting, energy boosters.

For fighting cancer,I would prefer a 1:1 Thc/Cbd strain. CBD Crew has several strains. Resin seeds has Cannatonic. Reggae seeds has Juanita la LaGrimosa. There are many others that are clone only and available from dispensaries.

Bottom line,since I don't know your cannabis availability, use whatever you have and get with it. Time is your enemy.

Treatingyourself.com has a list of affliction-strain recommendations. They are all anecdotal. All of this is. No one has the depth of experience to say White Widow will cure XYZ disease. Even if you could, White Widow from one seed company may be completely different from another.

Again, use what you have and go for it.

One thing,you mentioned your Mother had chemo. Chemo does severe,non-specific damage to the body. It will require more cannabis to help fix that damage as well as heal the cancer. Just needed you to be aware of that.

Lastly, don't listen to me. Listen to everyone. Read everything you can. Pick out the commonalities and disregard stuff that doesn't sound kosher. This is not rocket science, don't overthink it.

All the best

8. I personally would use ethanol extracted oil for cancer-treatment. My reasons, although not huge:

1. Using a water distiller (~$200) you can cheaply reclaim the ethanol you use in the oil production. Butane recovery is wayy more expensive and complicated.
    2. RSO is easy to administer in a controlled fashion using syringes.
    3. I like the taste of RSO vs BHO (I know it sounds crazy)

9. Lol ya but where the hell do you get ethanol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Grasscity Forum mobile app

liquor store, don't they have them where you live? Some store that sells hard alcohol for drinking of high purity?

11. #11 Lebowski, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  12. $70/pint??? Just buy Everclear or some other brand of 190 Proof from the liquor store. I picked up a liter for $14, I think.
    You have to be careful with lab ethanol. It's supposed to be denatured unless liquor tax has been paid but I doubt most of it is. If it says 100% ethanol, 200 proof or absolute alcohol, I wouldn't use it at all. It could have benzene or other chemicals used to remove the last 5% of water. Alcohol is an azeotrope and you can't get pure, 100% alcohol by distillation so other chemicals are added to get rid of the last 4.5% of water. This is fine for lab work but not for putting in your body.
    By the way:
    Ethanol = ethyl alcohol = grain alcohol = drinking alcohol = Pappy's Corn Squeezins
    That's NOT the same as methanol, methyl alcohol, iso-propyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol, 2-propanol. You don't want to drink/ingest any of these.

Thanks for the clarifications.

14. So what would organic 200 proof have in it than?

15. If there is such a thing, the carbohydrate source and yeast should have been organically grown. Organic corn, sugar, wheat, yeast, whatever. Of course, if the ethanol was derived from petroleum, it would be organic because there were no man-made pesticides around to spray on the ancient plants and dinosaurs which decayed to make petroleum. Of course there's still the azeotrope problem but the benzene would be organic because it's a petroleum distillate. LOL

Hi there HarryParatestes (or anyone who knows), I'm new in this forum. I'm from Barcelona, Catalonia, and my mother has cancer, so we decided to start with cannabis treatment. We have bho made with vacuum process for best purity. My worrie is that you say here: "It may cause a low grade headache for the first week but then it passes". Do you mean that the cannabis may cause the headache or the baking soda/lemon? The thing is that we started to take the bho 3/4 days ago and my mother has a little headache, is that normal?
    It's the first time that my mother takes cannabis, she never tried in his life. 
    Any advice or help will be great to me. Sorry for my english, I'm learning. Thank you very very much.

17. #17 CanadianOrganic, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
    He meant the baking soda and water. Cannabis should never give you a headache, much less concentrates.

She is doing an alkaline diet, so maybe the headache is for this reason? Since she started taking cannabis she sleeps very well, but I supose she is still a little bit nervous maybe, worried about the fucking cancer... I assume that his body has to get used to the cannabis... I hope

Thanks for answering people

19. Sorry I misread your post and thought she was taking concentrates. Cannabis should never give headaches, getting used to it should really only be a tolerance thing. You shouldn't have any odd affects like that.

I believe that is what the OP was saying, is that by making your body more alkaline, you may experience a low grade headache that will eventually go away. 

Is your mother also smoking or vaping? That could help with some side effects too. Or a tincture...