Richard Branson: 'Don't Jail Drug Users'

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Globian, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Heard about this on the radio today.

I know this isn't just for cannabis but it's included :D

I've added 2 interesting sentences from the article to highten your interests :p

Friends socially sharing drugs and those using cannabis for medicinal purposes may escape jail under the revised rules.

low-level operatives caught with 6kg of cannabis, 20 ecstasy tablets, or five grams of heroin or cocaine could instead receive a community sentence.

(6 F'ing Kilos and you may recieve community service. :eek:)

Full Article: Drug Users Could Avoid Jail Under New Guidelines Published By The Sentencing Council For Judges | UK News | Sky News

This is an excellent step forward for the UK and it's about time :D

Sorry if this has already been, posted, i only checked the Legalization & Activism board.

2. Good to hear, I if only america could adopt this law.

3. I did read this but im not sure i understand,
    Is this change actually happening?
    or was it just a suggestion from R. Branson that they will be "taking seriously"?

4. Love how when normal people speak our minds we're ignored, but a billionaire speaks his and shit starts potentially happening.

Oh well, anything is good for the movement :)

5. I'm not too sure either,

"Mr Branson, who sits on the Global Commission on Drug Policy, made the remarks as details emerged of the legal advice set to come into force on February 27."

I believe this sentences is saying that it WILL come into force ? :confused:

6. [quote name='Globian']I'm not too sure either,

"Mr Branson, who sits on the Global Commission on Drug Policy, made the remarks as details emerged of the legal advice set to come into force on February 27."

I believe this sentences is saying that it WILL come into force ? :confused:[/QUOTERi

Richard Branson was giving evidence for the commission to a committee of MP's this includes answering questions from the committee and making suggestions (i think it was mainly decriminalization and harm reduction for other drugs)
    This just happened to be on the same day that the new sentencing guidelines came out im fairly sure (not 100%) that these aren't laws and simply suggestions for sentencing which is still a pretty big deal

7. I've always wanted to live in London.

8. Branson's giving evidence is an inquiry into drugs policy in parliament along with the ex Swedish president.

BBC News - Sir Richard Branson urges change to drugs law

MPs launch drugs inquiry with evidence from Sir Richard Branson and former Swiss President - News from Parliament - UK Parliament

Even the acmd are crying out for decriminalization, the party that puts this through will win the netx election by a landslide, and with labour being pretty much wiped out if Scotland gains full independance you can rest assurred that even if it doesn't happen this term it probably will after the next general election (if milliband wants to stand a chance in the polls).

9. Do NOT overlook the repeated phrase, "tougher sentences" in this article. That is key.
    If they are looking to do harm reduction, how could it possibly retain any part of prohibition? It's all a massive failure.

Dealing would become more lucrative than ever given ever tougher sentencing, the same effect we have seen in America as a result of the 40+ year war on drugs. ;)

Branson is a rich fuck looking to get richer. Period. :cool:
    Does it make one iota of sense he is joined by the likes of Global Banker Paul Volker on this "Global Commission?" These are strange bedfellows, indeed.

This is an angle to rake the black market away from "criminals" and give it to legitimate "business men." They hope people will be fine with it if they only "fine" and "educate" people if caught. Well, just because you're not in a cage, doesn't mean someone doesn't have you under their thumb. :cool:

10. Ok, so this isnt actually going to be happening. Just a suggestion from R.Branson. If so, im sure it would be all over the news

11. #11 gedio, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    It may well do in time, there's stilla lot left to come in the inquiry but it'll be a few months before anything is decided. I wouldn't be shocked if it's just allowing heroin, meth and crack addicts access to these drugs for rehab purposes in hospitals though. Decriminalization is probably the better part of a decade away regardless of the fact that everyone other than lobbyists and organized crime bosses are calling for it. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised though.

Branson even suggesting the government regulating and taxing drugs, i'm not a fan of that all. Sweden allow people to grow up to four plants per person in a household in order to take weed supply out of the hands of dangerous criminals, that'd be a far better solution.