Rice hulls ?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by DouglasBader, Feb 17, 2013.

1. #1 DouglasBader, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
    Rice Hulls / Husks - 250g: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Are these here good for a mix, VERY HARD to source from my neck of the wood's. Not going to pay what they want on the link, BUT i would love to have a second batch of my organic soil mixed up with pbh, if anyone has any links to pbh which distribute to the UK it would help me out ten fold.

Thanks.

2. #2 noob_wannaB, Feb 17, 2013
    I couldn't find them either....here's where I got mine (they're on sale right now).
    Search Results

Shipping isn't cheap but it never is for anything that heavy (I got 50#, should last me awhile ;)). Had them in a couple of days.

added: Shoot...just saw you're in the UK...sorry. May not help you :(
    https://www.google.com/search?q=buy+rice+hulls+uk&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

3. Thank's for the quick response Noob the quest goes on, any help will still be appreciated.

4. I found a 50lb bag for $12. I found them by calling/visiting every PET/LIVESTOCK/FARM store. They're definitely not a typical grow amendment, so I didn't find a single hydro or garden store with them in stock.

I then learned they're also used in the production of Beer. :rolleyes: So, I found "food-grade organic" rice hulls at a homebrew/microbrewery, but for WAY more than I wanted to pay for them-- boy did they look good though!

I eventually found them at a Feed/Livestock Store, because they're typically used in the bottom of animal pens as a clean, soft bedding material. $12 for a HUGE-ass bag, that you can see in the link in my sig: "Supplemental Guide to ITG's Easy Soil Mix for Beginners"

Hope this information helps you source them! Once I knew where to look, they were MUCH easier to find!

5. Read my post above. :) Those seem to be just fine, but you may want to look a little harder for "rice" hulls, as opposed to just "grain" hulls. Who knows, though-- could just be a colloquial misnomer! I'd say if you don't find another homebrew place as such with a more-specific title, then just go with those.

I use rice hulls, and totally dig it. ;) Worth the effort, in my humble opinion-- non-toxic to breathe around, no need to soak or rinse beforehand, totally biodegradable, they smell good, they're SO light & paper thin… Do it!

6. #8 DouglasBader, Feb 17, 2013
    I think its something to do with the food standards in this country (rice hulls) i.e. its not
    food grade so can't be sold to go into beer, if i'm not mistaken.

7. Has anyone used buckwheat hulls as an aeration amendment?

If so, then fedco has 50 lbs for a decent price.

8. Here's my take on it FWIW........don't break the bank trying to ship in rice hulls/husks. Use whatever aeration amendment you can source locally and shop price. Sounds like you're in the UK so I'd imagine perlite would be the most handy.

Using rice hulls will not significantly affect your yield/crop one way or another IME.

Cheers,

Chunk

9. Jerry uses buckwheat hulls, and someone else (sorry, can't remember who) uses cocoa husks...I agree with Chunk though. It's aeration, with maybe a tad nutrition. Perlite has been GOOD to me. :D Found the rice hulls at a decent price and was glad but I doubt it's going to make any BIG difference in my grow. And I sure as heck wasn't willing to pay the prices I was seeing to have them shipped (till I found the source I linked to). Sad thing is I have to have perlite shipped too...around here only MG perlite is available :rolleyes::mad:

10. What about wheat bran? It's grown everywhere in the world. I'm not sure if it serves as well as rice bran as an aeration amendment, but it works just as well as a carrier for microbes in bokashi bran. Cheap, too. Jus' thinkin'...

wak

11. You don't want bran waktoo, just hulls :)

12. ^^^ Hi Noob'!

I thought that's what bran was- hulls. The hard outer layer of grains.

wak

13. Hey Wak!! :wave:

Pretty informative:

Byproducts and their utilization

14. Yeah...gotta keep you guys on your toes ;)
    Actually, I get tired of looking at them and try to switch them up every now and again :D

15. Noob what did that little dog do in your avatar to get banged up ? did he murder another dog (ie) got stuck in the other dog's throat and choked him. :)

16. "First of all to understand what happened to Killer, you gotta understand who Killer the dog was. Now Killer was born to a three-legged bitch of a mother. He was always ashamed of this, man. And then right after that he's adopted by this man, Tito Liebowitz he's a small time gun runner and a rotweiler fight promoter. So he puts Killer into training. They see Killer's good. He is damn good. But then he had the fight of his life. They pit him against his brother Nibbles. And Killer said, 'No man that's my brother, I can't fight Nibbles' but they made him fight anyway, and Killer, he killed Nibbles. Killer said, 'That's it!' He called off all his fights, and he started doing crack, and he freaked out. Then in a rage, he collapsed, and his heart no longer beat. Wow..."