Review my fisrt time plan-Lots Of Pics

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JohnKennedy, May 21, 2011.

1. #1 JohnKennedy, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
    So grasscity, I'm in the planing stages of of my first grow and should start within a month or two:smoke::hello: But what I am humbly asking of the citizens of grasscity, is to review and make adjustments too it. I'm looking for LOTS of constructive criticism here. Any thing you notice or think of that would improve my grow :smoking: I'll go through my plan step by step:

Here is what the closet looks like from the outside:

420 130.jpg
    I plan you use weather striping and some light shields to make it airtight. I am worried about it not being airtight, but I'll go into that that later.

This is the inside view of the closet:

420 131.jpg
    it is 5' 1" from Left to right, \
    5' 7" from top to bottom,
    but only 2' 2' from front to back:(

I will unscrew the poster boards from the walls, and then paint them a flat white for reflectivity. I plan to grow between 4 and 11 feminized train wreck seeds. i will be planting them in 4 gallon pots with 75% FFOF and 25% perilite. I will use Fox Farm's Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom for my fetilizers.

Now the lights, the light i've beent loking at geting is 400 wats, 120 volts, 41,000 lumens, it comes with two bulbs; a MH for veg, and a HPS for flowering. It can be viewed at this link:
    Amazon.com: LED Wholesalers GYO2002 4-Piece 400 Watt Hydroponic Reflector Grow Light Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Now, since we're talking about lights, we must naturally move to ventilation. I have calculated the closet to be 61.7 cubic feet. I was thinking about a passive intake system. The intake would be here:
    420 141.jpg
    And the Exhaust fan would be here:
    420 140.jpg
    But I'm not sure if the would keep temps down, and what CFM rated fan i will need.You may have noticed that the light i picked didn't have air cooling. This has to be a semi-stealth grow, and i can't run ducting. the exhaust will go straight into the attic. My house in ranch style, only one story. The attic runs the length of the house, and I'm wondering if you would be able to smell the plants in the house if all the air was vented to the attic. Can i do this?

So, let me summarize all my questions:

1. How many plants can i effectively grow in this space? will the small width be a problem? Is trainwreck a good choice for space, yield , and potency?

2. Is 75% FFOF and25% perilite a good mix? Are the fox farm nutes i mentioned above good enough?

3. Is this a decent light for growing?

4. Will my setup overheat? can i do a passive intake? What CFM for a fan would i need? Can anyone recommend a good flat whisper fan?

5. Will my entire house smell like weed, or will it sty in the attic with my current plan?

Any thoughts at all are welcome. I am brand new at this and am just trying to learn. Any and all help is appreciated! :hello:

2. Bump? Come on guys, really looking for some input here...

3. I would stick to growing out one nice plant in that space, do a little LST and you will have a bush growing in there :) Fox Farm soil and nutes are good to go, just follow the instructions and keep to the schedule that comes with it. The 400W combo light is perfect for a space like that but it will get very hot in the summer and especially with you growing in the attic. Im guessing you are going to have to invest in a portable air conditioner along the lines cause your temps will easily be in the 90's or higher in there even with exhaust and fans running. I would invest in a 6" high velocity inline fan with carbon scrubber attached to it and that would take care of your funky smell problem. You can search youtube for videos on how to make one yourself, much cheaper and very easy to make, but make sure you get that high velocity fan. Its worth the money and you will thank me in the long run trust me. I would keep planning like your planning, your doing a good job so far. I know you wanted to grow more in your space but unless you plan on doing a sea of green or having your plants very crowded I would just plan on one nice big bushy plant in there and you should end up with a few oz's of some nice trainwreck. Happy growing :)

4. I forgot to answer one question. You can vent your exhaust into the attic but it will totally reak up there forever lol. It wont reak in your house though, also the inline fan might be a little noisy but they sell ducting convertors that go from 6" to 4" and I noticed this cut the noise down in half. Good luck!

5. Hey Kennedy, I'll try and get some of these questions cleared up for you.

1. With that space provided, I would assume that you could grow up to 3 plants in there. I currently am growing three plants, and they would be very hardpressed to fit in that closet, and they havent even started flowering yet.
    - Also, your not going to want you plant to ever get within a foot - a foot an a half of the tops of your plants. That minimum WITH proper ventilation., so you need to figure instead of having 5'7" you will have probably only 4" or so to work with. Low stress training or SOG is recommended IMO.

2. I see no reason to put more perlite in FFOF. It's already got a decent amount in it. I would reccomend from my ppersonal expereince not to start your seeds in FFOF. I started all my plants in FFOF, and my seeds barely recovered from the nute shock that FFOF already has in it .... If you do decide to use FFOF throughout your whole grow, I would flush the soil with no seed in it a few times to get those nutes that FFOF already comes with out of it.
    - Also, foxfarms trio line of nutes is amazing. I am doing a foxfarm only grow, with the FFOF and all their nutes, and I'm having GREAT results. I am still vegging (day 52/48/38) and they are MONSTERS.

3. 400 watts will be perfect for growing inside that closet. people say for the best reseults, each plant should have atleast 100watts on it. Whereas you will only be able to fit about 3 in there, that light will be more than enough to grow you come monsters.

4. I am growing in an open space whereas I do not intakes and exhausts, so I canno give you any bands or reccomendations on which to buy. But I will say that my 600w HPS puts off some SERIOUS, SERIOUS heat. How hot of a climate do you live in? Will it be in the 90's+ all summer where you live? If so that closet + an 400w of light = one large amount of heat.
    - I think its safe to say that your going to need an intake, and exhaust, and at least one circulation fan on the inside.

5. Without proper odor control, your plants will have the potential to reak your whole house, yes.