Reverse Osmosis System ???'s

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Heartburn, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Hello GC, I was not exactly sure where I should post this, I thought this was my best choice to get the right advice. Please move this to the correct forum if need be.

I am currently looking to install a RO system and was wandering from experienced users what are the better setups? How many stage filters would be ideal to be sufficient? What would I be looking out for with pro's and con's of RO systems? It's too easy to get sold and fooled on marketer's claims and guarantee's, especially when you know jack about what you're looking for. This is why I'm looking for advice mainly from users of RO systems that can speak from experience. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I could afford up to maybe $4-500 for a decent to great unit.

Any help, direction, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. #2 paint_u_dgt, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
    If this helps....

I purchased the whirlpool R/O system from Lowe's it was I believe $149.00 if memory serves. I took me about 45 minutes and 1 extra trip to get supplies to get everything up and running. It is a three stage filter and gets softened water from 650 ppm to approx. 40 ppm.

I don't think you need to spend $400-$500 on an R/O system. But, then again maybe you have a 100 gallon res or something. The waste water to clean water ratio is high like 5:1 and it takes about 15-20 minutes to make a two gallons.

3. I have a fairly inexpensive (less $100) 2 stage ro system that I've been using for 6+ months, still delivering good quality, neutral ph water. This one is a portable unit with a garden hose attachment which works great for me in an outbuilding with no plumbing. Not the fastest as it's not pressurized, takes approx. an hour to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

4. i just baught the "merlin garden pro", the guy at the hydro shop recomended it, but it was 600$, havent used it yet, plan to start using it this week

5. Right on to everyone that has given me insight on this. I realize that $4-500 might not be necessary to spend for a quality system. I do have to ask though, Paint has the 3 stage and chetto with the two stage, I've seen as much as a 6 stage setup. What are the minor or major differences between the variable stages?

Joe_fresh, I will be googling your setup to find out info about it. Please do let me know how you like it when you install it.

Another thing that I'm looking at and Paint mentioned it, was the waste water to clean ratio. I would like to keep that to a minimum. I recall seeing a system online that claimed to have no waste water, whether that claim is true or not, I can't say. My goal is to find a system that will deliver Ph balanced water as well as eliminate solids and impurities. I saw a post from I believe Rumple, talking about a 5 or 6 stage system he bought and was pleased with performance and price. I'm now just curious to know the differences between the many stages. Thanks.

6. KMD eCommerce Crop.

6 Stages, 0 PPM, and only $144(free shipping). The website explains in full the purpose of all the stages.

Esco

7. I got a 5 stage on ebay for 119 plus shipping. I only use it for drinking and nute mix as my water is good as it is. But it takes my water down to about 12ppm, so it does its job for sure. I think its more about the filter than the system really and paying more than about 150 is probably unwarrented.

8. my RO filter membrane sells separatly for 200$, and the RO i got takes 2 membranes and one sediment filter(40$), so if you think about it thats why mine cost soo much,lol

9. HB, I think that if it's that important to a person to have the purest water possible than by all means they should go out and get a multistage filter system if it's within their budget. On the other hand if a person prefers to have some decent h2o for their plants with most of the junk removed they can certainly get by with a smaller unit. Just like everything else the skies the limit on what you can get (and pay) in an RO system, these things are available from basic ro systems to ones for labrotories...overall you probably get what you pay for. lol - chetto

10. Running full out with both flowering units, and the veg unit all working I go through roughly 100 gallons a week. The waste water to clean water ratio would be real important to me.

JG

11. Man, thanks to everyone with the knowledge on this. I think I'm going with the link that Escobarr put up. Him and Rumple, both have them units and have spoken highly on them, which makes my choice easier. Good price for a great system. Thanks again.

12. Adding a permeate pump can greatly reduce the amount of waste water.