Revealed: How the U.S. planned to blow up the MOON with a nuclear bomb to win ColdWar

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Cold War-era U.S. plan to bomb the moon with a nuclear bomb revealed | Mail Online

They should do that now and say they killed Allah or something. :smoking::smoking: :D Totally kidding.

2. They didn't really think this one through very well did they now?

3. Well at least they scrapped the idea.

Interesting that a young Carl Sagan was involved.

4. Dude, fuck -fucking with space. That's some shit!

5. That headline is misleading. The article states the goal was to detonate a bomb on the Moon. Not blow it up.

6. Article makes it sound like they actually would have done it which, of course, they wouldn't. Nobody is that stupid.

Welcome to the Daily Mail.

7. they planned on detonating a nuke on the moon so it could be seen from earth. A stupid idea, but not as stupid as high altitude nuclear testing on our own planet.

8. What would that have done to our tides?

9. #10 PureLife, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    The Article that duquesnedukes posted is from NPR and what you see in the video is a nuclear h bomb exploding in the clear night sky 250 miles away. I pressed 'like' to point importance to it.

??

10. Sounds like a fool proof plan... What could go wrong?

11. Nothing. There is no way that any nation would be able to blow up the moon. And detonating a nuke on the moon wouldn't have any sort of noticable affect on Earth.

Just a very stupid idea. :smoking:

12. Do you realize that we have tides due to the moon's gravitation?

13. Do you realize that back then there was no way a nuke could blow up the moon?

14. Yes.

That wasn't the question

The question was: [If the moon was blown up] what would that do to the tides?

15. More importantly how would blowing up the moon effect my fishing.

16. bye bye tides.

life can still go on though...but lots of changes to aquatic nature...lots

17. It looked like you were asking what would have happened if they wenbt through with this nuking the moon plan. Nowhere did you ask the above question until after I answered you.

Of course I know the moon has an affect on tides.

Why do people get snarky when you try to answer a question they have asked honestly?

18. You're right, I was assuming the u.s. went through with the plan, regardless of their actual ability. That is why when you said nothing, I thought it was established the moon has effects on the tides.... so I'm not sure what the problem was.

Maybe a misinterpretation of the syntax. I'm glad to to clear it up. An absence of tides would have a significant effect I would think. Chain reaction type business.

19. Pandoras box is way over there. They would never try this it would devastate the world.