Revamping grow room, could use advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by zenstudent, Jul 20, 2012.

1. #1 zenstudent, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
    Hi everyone!

Im getting ready to completely revamp my grow room.

Still kind of paranoid to post pictures, so instead I created a diagram
    of the nightmare that is my current grow room, (or as I like to call it,
    NOOB-TOPIA)

Problems? Yes, plenty of them.

Problems:
    -This is the only room available for me to grow in. (notice the hot water tank and furnace? Let me tell you how much that RULES! Not only do
    I have ongoing heat issues in the summer, but the winter too..) To make matters worse, leaving the door open is NOT an option.

I have the room sectioned off: on the far side is the clone/veg area, and on the other side of the DIY partition is the flowering area. (no light leak issues, thank God)

-Notice how the 360 cfm fan is sucking air from the filter and PUSHING it through the enclosed hood? I'd like to change that so the fan is sucking air from both. HOWEVER, this means going into the attic and securing a support beam, as the existing joists of this room are spaced exactly too far apart/crooked to hang anything from.

-Im using 8 48" flouro tubes for christ sake. ...I would really like to upgrade to a metal halide, but due to the inherent heat issues Im thinking strongly about jumping on the t-5 bandwagon.

-air intake to veg area: nonexistent

In a nutshell, Id like to switch the fan onto the other side of the hood, replace the flouro tube lights with something smaller yet more illuminating,
    and add an intake to the veg area.
    (...And yes, I am aware that the 1000 watt HPS might be overkill for such a small area...)

The issue I constantly battle is heat. On one hand, I could get a more powerful exhaust fan, on the other I could go for a/c. ...The problem with increasing cfm is the issue of overpowering the carbon filter, and the problem with a/c is that I have NOWHERE to dump the exhausted heat from the unit.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can make this space more efficient, PLEASE post a reply. I really need all the help/insight I can get.

[​IMG]

Bird's Eye View:
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance

2. ... I can add pics if that helps..?

Has anyone else had a crazy situation like this in regards to heat?
    For the most part everything is growing nice. ..I would like to increase the rate of growth of the plants in the veg room, but again at this point unless I do something to reduce the high summer temps (during the hot spell it touched 90 degrees F), I don't see MH as a lighting option...