Reusing Soil?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by NeXXuS, Feb 15, 2006.

1. How many times can you reuse your soil mixture?

2. 0 times.

lets pretend ur plant = ~ 500$.
    lets pretend u can resoil ur plant = ~ 2.46$

500$/2.46$ = .00492% of ur grow will = ur soil.

how can u justify not having an input of less than 1% of ur total project???

that is why the answer = 0.

3. Nicely put froggy.

I usually take my old mixtures and just toss them back into the compost bin.

this soil has already been sucked of its nutrients.

Just buy a few new bags, your plants will love you for it.

4. Nice fresh soil is better than old stuff. I mean I have no data to back it up, but I notice that new soil drains better and is easier to work with.

5. OK, I figured that, but the soil i use pretty much IS my compost pile, I throw all my old dirt, Table scraps, etc in there, typical compost I guess. I also use it for my garden, So i guess it is OK to reconstitute the used soil back into the compost cycle?

6. u can do anything u want and im not going to repeat my formula.

but if u truely read my formula, i dont see how u can still argue a different point.

the product is just too valueable to screw around with an major unknown, like soil.

7. yes you can recompost your soil, but use fresh soil or composted soil for a new grow. I've seen some people reuse soil once or twice (that they weren't composting) but for most people, paying less than $3 for a new giant bag of soil shouldn't be much of an issue.

8. Yeah, and if you buy it in bulk ( like 5 bags ) they should give you a bag for free. When I restock my soil i get about 5 bags, and 1 bag of compost so I don't have to come back any time soon. It's reallly worth it in the long run.

Reused soil can lead to early nutrient deficiencies, like not enough nitrogen, ect.

These problems can be a pain in the ass..

Not much else we can tell you, hope this all helps out..

Goodluck

Thc101

9. Yes my question was answered, with a bit of uhm, well yeah I can throw my soil back into my compost pile and be fine, thanks.

10. Yes...you can reuse your soil if your soil is built properly in the first place. If you stick with an organic soil, it can actually improve after a few uses.

Build your soil right the first time...that means no MG or any other crap that has ferts already added. Use staright coco or peat moss and mix your WC and perlite(lots of different recipes out there, and add all your amendments.

After the grow, just add a fresh batch of new soil(premixed with all the goodies) into the used soil at a rate of about 50% and add more amendments to compensate for the old soil to be regenerated.

Thats all there is. The soil will get better as some of the stuff you added like greensand and bone meal will be better available to the plant as it breaks down.

There is always two ways to look at things.

Cheers,

11. I use MG Soil BUT it does not have fertilizer in it, It is organic potting soil, Mostly poultry litter compost from the package, I mix that with my own dirt from my garden, and dirt from my compost pile, and a little sand for drainage.

Call me stupid but just didn't know if there was some special rule with MJ, grown a lot of stuff but my first MJ grow, thanks for the great help as usual.

I will buy new Potting soil every onc in a while to add some fresh then, I have a big bin that I Mix my soil in.

12. Thats better then. Yes, stay away from the time released nute soils. Start researching soil ammendments to add. LOts of recipes out there for organic soil mixes. You'd be surprised how easy it is to find the stuff to add like bone and blood meal. And you use alot less nutes during growing too.

Cheers,

13. I've heard FF Marine cuisine is good for revitailzing soil.

14. hmh cant reuse dirt ......:( how does the planet exist....:eek:

15. I don't get it....is that a question?

Cheers,

16. Im sorry, explain to me where exactly soil is $3 you fucken fruit.

17. Well dick, to answer you question... Walmart, home depot, ace hardware, costco, target, etc. Dont be an idiot. I just bought a big enough bag for my grow (4plants) of Shults "cactus" organic potting mix, it was only $2 and its working awesome, the bag is even re-sealable.

18. Dude you can reuse soil just not back to back.Unless you want to risk killing the plant from salt build up.Re compost the used soil for a few months & allow the rain to leech it well then rebuild it.trust me bro,I got lazy just this last winter and lost a plant mid flower because i didn't use fresh soil.I fed her like usual and went away for a week for work.when i returned she was in such bad shape I put her down:(