Retinal/facial tracking for glasses-free 3D

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by guyverman, Jan 16, 2012.

1. #1 guyverman, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    Like the title says, what's the bare minimum hardware required to achieve a 3D effect comparable to active shutter glasses but at only about 12 - 16" away(mobile device)?

I'm asking this because Rumors for the Galaxy S3 say it could have a quad core A15 architecture running at between 1.6- 1.8GHz(same as 4xA9 cores @ 2.34GHz), 2GB of RAM and have a front facing 3D cam.

I'm wondering if that would be enough to achieve a quality, glasses-free effect.

2. sprint released an android phone awhile ago that could record in 3D. i think it may have had a 3D display as well, but do some research.

as far as those requirements, the 3DS pulls it off nicely. I don't see a reason why they couldn't.

3. At CES this year I saw the "latest and greatest" in 3D.

I can say that a "quality, glasses-free effect" does not exist yet IMO. Regardless of hardware. They made progress since last year but it's still not where it needs to be. The field-of-view is still far too narrow, and it just doesn't look nearly as good as the passive 3D from LG, for example. I suppose it might be acceptable on a phone but IMO isn't worth any extra cost at this point.

4. I have a feeling that the S3 will have this tech though. Rumors mention 3D, 12MP camera, and quad core. Why did the nexus have a higher than average quality 5MP cam on it? Why was a photo leaked from samsung of a GT19500 and why was it 5MP? Maybe to include the sensor in their supply line and reduce costs of it for when: 2x5MP cams on back of S3, 2x1MP on front = 12MP total

"Face Unlock" can be tricked with a photo, so right now it's a novelty, but what about 3D face unlock? Maybe ICS on the nexus was just R&D for S3 components.