Rethinking my watering practices

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ZeusMan, Dec 8, 2019.

1. #1 ZeusMan, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Spent this afternoon reading through some very good research on cannabis growing by Caplan. After reading

Increasing Inflorescence Dry Weight and Cannabinoid Content in Medical Cannabis Using Controlled Drought Stress

and

Optimal Rate of Organic Fertilizer during the Flowering Stage for Cannabis Grown in Two Coir-based Substrates

I think I may have to try some indoor growing using a far restricted watering schedule. In these papers cannabis was watered on average only twice a week during flower using coco coir in containers that were only 0.7 Liters. Watering did not occur until the medium reached very low moisture levels and in the drought stress experiment, watering was withheld for 11 days in week 7 of flower resulting in increased yield.

Studies available here Deron Michael Caplan

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. When researching no till gardening I came across multiple studies done on wheat and corn in Texas during drought conditions that showed yield actually increased with no till and drought. I attempted to apply this methodology to my grow because I wanted to be lazy and save water in the process however the plants just seem to get really sad and wilt. I decided to stop because I didn't enjoy seeing my plants like that

3. Probably worth noting these studies were all done at (at least compared to my environment) high humidity levels, 76% RH.

4. Try filling a bag with perlite and planting a seed directly in the perlite. That's how I grow. It taught me I know nothing about anything, especially watering. Perlite is a magnificent medium for complete hydration control. I gave up seeing how long a plant can go in perlite before wilting. It's all totally baffling. I know very few things, but I can tell you a few standout items. A dry plant will show signs of over watering when watered. Going from extreme dry to saturation is not ideal, no matter how much oxygen you think you are giving your roots. Give it a try if you have spare space. It will amaze you how much nobody knows.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ya it cool to realize how little is actually known about cannabis. Also reading up on how little P cannabis actually needs. I’m going to try a few different techniques this season. Try a high N low P ratio grow, high RH grow and a low water grow. If I can get equal or better results with less work and less nutes I wouldn’t complain

6. I am convinced a large number of issues are water related. Easier for me to see maybe in pure perlite. I haven't even gotten to the harvest stuff. But both magneseum and stretch are somehow related to hydration. IDK how. I know when I was living in California, common table wine was beating imported French the year of the 1976 drought. So there has to be something to the research you are doing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Also been listening to some interview with Allison Justice from Outco. She doesn't publish because Outco is all about the corporate profits but she does give some interviews talking about her cannabis tissue research. It confirms something I think a lot of growers were already figuring out, no plant including cannabis ever need a nutrient solution anywhere near 2 EC. About 0.5 EC is what a plant actually need.