Retaliated at gun point, robber ran away, I have his gun? What do I do?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Iceman420, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Let me just say, holy shit, I still have some adrenaline pumping from an hour ago. I was visiting a friend in the Bronx, and I started to head home. It got kind of dark, and I was about to turn the corner at the end of a deserted block to get to the subway.

As I turn, I walk a couple steps ahead, and boom, a gun pointed to my temple. I couldn't see the guys face, he had bandana covering his face, except for his eyes of course, but from his hands, he was a black guy and a heavy new yorker accent. He tells me to walk towards the alley that he popped out of. I walk slowly, turn around, and my hands are just down, near my pockets.

Later, the guy tells me to put my hands up, I say okay, I slowly move up, and then I use a move that I saw on youtube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXC5COnjmE&feature=related]gun in the face defense 2 innocent bystanders - YouTube[/ame]

Basically, I move slowly, and in a swift action, I take his hand, and point the gun upwards, and charge at him. I start punching him in his face in brusque manner, and lets go of the gun and runs away.

Now, I know what you guys are saying, he probably wanted my wallet and watch, and I should have given him that. I know a bullet to the head is less worse than getting robbed, but I had my great grandfather's watch he wore in WWI and gave it to me when I was 9. It's worth a lot of value to me. Along with the fact that I had $500 dollars in cash that took me two months working at a kmart. I cashed my check right before I visited my friend. There was no way I was gonna let some low life take my hard earned money.

Now, still have my brain matter in my skull, the only problem I face right now is the gun. As I said, the scum ran away, and I had his gun in my hand. I don't know why I just didn't throw the gun away in the alley, but I was afraid my finger prints would show up or some shit. I was just really paranoid at the point.

Living in NYC, having an illegal handgun is a huge offense. I'm not sure on the specifics, but know for a fact that obtaining a legal hand gun in NYC takes a lot of money and time. Let alone NYC being one of the most strict areas for firearms.

Right now, this gun is sitting next to my laptop, thinking of what the fuck to do with it? I'm afraid if I go to the cops they'll act suspicious or something and I'll get in trouble.

What do I do?

2. Take all the bullets out.

Wipe it clean. Spend $15 and buy a lockbox. (Return it afterwards if you want)

Call the police station and explain to them that you have an illegal firearm that you'd like to turn over to them (yadayada I'm putting it unloaded in the lock box yadadyada can I come by the station?)

Or if you want to be shady you can try and sell it.

3. Toss that shit in a storm drain man. If you haven't been arrested, the cops don't have your fingerprints anyway.

4. #4 thewarden, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2012
    dude take it to the cops and tell them what you just told us

I mean at this point your fingerprints are already all over it so unless you do an incredibly thorough job cleaning it and can guarantee there aren't any left it's sketchy as fuck to possess it or just toss it. I'd bet money that this gun was used in other crimes (possibly actual shootings where ballistics were taken) so if you get caught with it you're fucked and if you just toss it and cops do find it you're gonna have some explaining to do, and they probably won't give you the benefit of the doubt like they would if you had just turned it in

plus, there's a chance this gun is stolen, and someone spent their hard earned money on it so they'd probably want it back

hell, you could even leave out the robbery part, just say you found it or something and thought you could help out by turning it in

5. Call your local Law Enforcement and report the incident. They may confiscate the firearm and track the owner down.

6. put on gloves, then get a cloth and wipe the fuck out of it in every nook and cranny imaginable. then you can just drop it in a random dumpster a couple blocks away from wherever you live and that gun will never harm anybody.

or submerge it in hydroflouric acid (breaking bad reference)

7. #7 nolastnamex, Sep 20, 2012
    why would you walk through the bronx at night with $500 cash?

edit : i guess you could just toss the weapon in a river or something, go turn it in if you want but i doubt the guy will get caught because people usually don't rob other people with their own registered firearm...so its not like the cops can trace the guy.

8. You get cash rewards for turning in guns at the precinct. If it really happened..

9. Turn it in man.

10. Because of my stupid ass cashing it at the local bank before chilling with my friend.

I'm most likely going to report it, and probably buy a lockbox since it seems like a good idea. I don't want the cops to show up and just have a gun laying on my desk lol. The only thing I'm afraid of is that their going to question me and what not, and then i might possibly get arrested for whatever reason. I don't hate cops, but NYPD is the worst I've seen. And I have lived in multiple states.

11. Turn it in. Tell them the truth.

PROFIT?

12. Im pretty sure if you brought it UNLOADED in a locked box and explain your story depending on the cop they would be happy you brought it to them instead of just throwing it because you got a gun off the street instead of a kid finding it and blowing their head off. But some cops are assholes so be careful, and be prepared for them to question you A lot over and over to see if your sticking to your story. Or if your paranoid take the clip out and if there is a bullet in the chamber pull the slide back and release it so it ejects, wipe everything down with bleach after you put thick rubber gloves on (the yellow industrial ones) and put the gun in one bag and the clip in another and the bullets in another and throw it out little by little, that should be a last option though. Or if the serial # is missing like I said wipe everything down with bleach and keep it for your own protection when you really need it, just dont stick around if you use it.
    Im not telling you to do anything illegal though, just throwing options on the table.
    Good luck and stay safe.

13. Thats pretty badass man. Way to follow the three c's!

14. I can't help but think that cleaning it/bleaching it would get me more in trouble for "tampering with evidence".

15. Thats a tought one. I know NY has some shitty gun laws so I understand why you might not want the trouble of having it around and you must also consider what other incedents it may have been involved in. It might be stolen and in that case it might be nice if you could turn it in so that it may returned to the owner but the cops would probly just keep it. If you were caught with it and said you purchased it thru a private sale from somebody you met once out of state I dont think you would get in any trouble for it's previous involvement in crimes or for it being stolen property. You could also sell it in this manner but I dont know what your local laws are on private gun sales.
    I hate to say it because these things piss me off but another good option might be to turn it in at a gun by back program and get a nice gift certificate for your efforts.
    Personally I would just keep it at my home as an additon to my collection. Im just currious what type of handgun is it?

And btw since you dont seem too experienced with firearms, please be very very very careful with it. Remember that even if you take the magazine out, a round may still be chambered in the barrel and the gun can fire. Look up how to unload the pistol online and always have it pointed in a safe direction when handling, be concious of the fact that the round can travel through walls and hurt your neighbors. I hate to say it because I hate to see a gun go to waste but if you are at all uncomfortable with it, just turn it in and avoid the risk of harming yourself or others.

16. I mean, I would totally use it for home protection, but regardless if I were to use it for home protection, i would still get charged for unregistered and possibly stolen fire arm. And no, I have some experience in guns, use to work with them, but never shot one in my life to be honest. And its also a typical glock 19.

17. Call or go into the police station and report the attempted robbery, then let them know that you have his gun from it and would like to turn it in for further investigation and what not.
    You're not the bad guy here, you were just minding your own business and had to use self defense. I mean think, if someone were to turn in a brick of cocaine would the police turn around and bust them for possession or manufacturing an illegal substance? Hell no.
    Try not to get rid of the finger prints though, its very important for them.

18. You're my hero OP.

19. #19 WookiesDoItBest, Sep 20, 2012
    If there is a magazine in it, and there is ammo in the magazine, and the dickhead loaded it himself, they can pull his prints from the loaded rounds and magazine. You prints shouldn't be on those at all. They do that kind of print retreival all the time. People leave lovely thumb prints on cases when they load a mag.

I really wouldn't advise handling it more than you have to, or attempting to unload it at all, for a couple of reasons.
    - Whether or not you're familiar with that model firearm, you're not familiar with that gun, its history, or its mechanical status. You don't know if some fuck-up attempted a trigger-job or some other alteration that may cause it to malfunction.
    - Best not to disturb possible latent prints on the magazine or ammunition.

I'd turn it in and file a report.

While I'm sure they will question why you went home before calling them, you're well within your rights to get to safety before notifying law enforcement of anything. I sure as hell wouldn't have stood around there waiting for a cop to show up right after some asshole attempted to mug me...so that shouldn't be a problem. And from the sound of it, you were probably fairly freaked out at the moment....like any normal human being would be. People don't always act rationally or logically during or immediately after events like that. They should be aware and understanding of that. I'd say it was fairly responsible not to just leave it in the street for him to come back for, or for some kid to find.

Additionally....if there's still a serial number on it, there are some places online that people list s/n's of stolen firearms. You could check some of those lists and see if it happens to be on one of them. If you're all that curious I mean.

20. Dont touch it anymore, take the clip out and put it in a bag and put the gun in a seperate bag. Now call the cops and tell them your situation, tell them to come by your house and put the gun on your bed or table or whatever and stand away from it so they dont think your shady.

I would think thats the easiest way to go about it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.