restricted height grow room

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by pungent, Aug 20, 2007.

1. i'm growing in a very short (about 3 ft) grow area to begin with. i'm growing in a hydroponic kit that raises the plants 1 - 1 1/2 ft. the fluorescent lights with reflectors take up a minimum of 5-6 inches at the top of the grow room. i have plants that are around 5" right now and i can see that they aren't going to be able to grow much taller before they run out of room. they are from good seed stock engineered for indoor growing, have very close internodes and 3-4 sets of full fan leaves each and are all starting to branch some (maybe 1" to 1.5" branches)

should i:

a) change the light cycle and flower them soon
    b) train them sideways to grow longer but not taller
    c) top them to encourage bushy growth
    d) something else i haven't already thought of

time to harvest isn't too big an issue, but i'm kindof growing with the SOG philosophy so more small harvests are better than less big harvests i guess? i just want to make sure the plants get big enough to produce something reasonable and i have limited vertical space.

2. Depends on how many plants you have, how much yield you want, I'm not sure about training, I better read that tutorial.

3. my speed queens only grew about 2ft tall, LST'd out less than that, around 18"..

get some speed queen and have fun ;) check my sig link(my first try) for what 'm talkin about

4. I have 6 plants, two had damaged taproots and aren't growing well. I don't really have a specific total yield in mind, I just want the grow to end up being worth my time. I didn't know if maturity had an effect on potency. Size of the plant obviously has an effect on yield though, and I didn't know if a final size of around 18" would be big enough to be "worth it." I think I'm just going to go ahead to 12/12 in about a week and see what I get. Since this is my first grow, it is largely experimental for me anyway. Guess we'll see :)

5. a) change the light cycle and flower them soon
    b) train them sideways to grow longer but not taller
    c) top them to encourage bushy growth
    d) something else i haven't already thought of

time to harvest isn't too big an issue, but i'm kindof growing with the SOG philosophy so more small harvests are better than less big harvests i guess? i just want to make sure the plants get big enough to produce something reasonable and i have limited vertical space.[/quote]
    Small is Good...:D
    Ck out my set-up in my sig.
    A true mini SOG
    1 clone of 27 growing in the flowering box
    14.5" = 82 Grams wet
    I harvest 3 a week like that :cool:

6. I recommend LSTing right away. Check the sticky tutorial at the top of the Beginner's forum.