Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Response to this study on brain damage from MJ?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by purplecow1, Oct 4, 2010.

1. I put this in Seasoned Tokers because it's a pretty specific question. My mom sent me this email today...we email each other news about marijuana and stuff but she is still concerned that I smoke too much. Do you guys have any info on this? :cool:

"This info was in book I'm reading. Marijuana use shows up as slowing down the brain and affects functioning even when those who were having brain scans had not used it for 30 days prior."

Images of Alcohol and Drug Abuse – Amen Clinics

2. Dr. Amen of the Amen clinic is a !@$! Quack. But, since he says cannabis is bad, he gets press.

Jerome Burne, Daniel Amen and SPECT scans: “Are you wrecking your brain?” « Holford Watch: Patrick Holford, nutritionism and bad science

3. If you abuse anything its not going to be good?

Use weed in moderation and all is well......life is to short to worry about all the bullshit studies. Half say its the devila nd the other half say its good for you. Your body will tell you when you over do it with anything,

I never listened to my mother.

4. I've always heard it does not damage brain cells and in fact enables the creation of new neuron connections. The rumors from that probably came from the fact that people were maybe less aware of the effects of certain types of mold.

I found this page that shows some of the myths and facts about pot AND lists all of the sources for that information:

OR

Myths and Facts About Marijuana

5. I ate 500 cheeseburgers and got fat. Goddamn it cheeseburgers are the devil. also I am a saint

6. Dude, I hate all this shit. It's gay and no matter what "studies" are out there I'm still gonna smoke all the weed I want and have a >3.0 GPA.

7. it doesn't matter what your GPA is. Think of your future health.

Im sitting in bed with my brain's health deteriorating thanks to Marijuana.
    You say it doesn't have any serious effects, but it does. NO LIVING SOUL ON THIS EARTH SHOULD ABUSE MARIJUANA BY SMOKING IT ON A DAILY BASIS, MORNING UNTIL NIGHT. BOB MARLEY HIMSELF SAID DO NOT ABUSE THE HERB, OR IT WILL HURT YOU.

don't get me wrong... I love marijuana. I had been smoking every single day for 2 years - but smoking so much caused me to get a migraine attack which has left some damage, and I have to go to the hospital tonight (just came back from the doctors). It is foolish to say marijuana had no part. Ingesting bud on a daily basis that is of "DANK" variety, is normally flushed with so many nutrients (chemicals), which is NOT healthy for your brain. I cannot tell you how scared and alone I feel. I have been stuck in a state-of-mind where nothing has been clear, i haven't felt connected to my own body. My anxiety is going crazy.

Just please don't abuse it guys, and please don't look at these studies like they are nothing but a mere attack against the stoner society. I mean...the physician in this study obviously loves weed too.

It's just not worth it.... Lying in your bed... suddenly feeling so..lost and sick.... I would throw all those good times with weed out the window just to feel normal again. This is how bad it feels.

I am not against any of you, I am just simply saying to please consider your health - and it really isn't just a "myth".

8. TickTockCrock, while I sympathize with your health issues, it's not fair for you to blame them on marijuana when you really have no idea what the cause is.

9. Most of the studies that come out get proven wrong by the next studie which gets proven wrong by an even latter study. At some point this whole idea that we know everything because we are scientists starts to look like a big buncha bullshit. 2000+ years of history and we are the absolute product of hundreds of generations of stoner dna handed down. If this stuff was all that bad for us we probobly wouldnt be here right now. And we would probobly have a whole lot less of technology and good music/ideas. So i say to hell with the nonsense youll never get a straight answer unless you look within yourself and even then you wont know. Only live once do what you want because your going to die. Debating over weather or not to do somthing is only wasting your precious time. Possibly taking away more of your life than would be caused by the weed if it WAS bad for you.

10. Marijuana Compound Spurs Brain Cell Growth

They mention it on the news and made a little joke about the black guy smoking weed :rolleyes:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAacgVlrpxQ]YouTube - HEALTH ALERT: Marijuana Promotes Brain Cell Growth[/ame]

11. Purple Cow, please click the first link in my sig. I would suggest reading the "IQ" and "NEURONS" sections for rebuttals to your Mom's article. Educate yourself, then send Mom a copy of my list to educate her! (email me for a free copy- the addy is the at the bottom of my sig)

And I find it strange that Croc blames his migraines on cannabis use, when so many others find relief from their migraines by using cannabis! But everyone's biochemistry is different!

Granny :wave:

12. #12 tharedhead, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2010

If your doctors are blaming your neurological issues on your cannabis use, and not seeking other explanations, then they are doing you a great disservice and you may wish to seek a second opinion.

This is a common problem with cannabis users. Doctors discover that the patient uses cannabis, and promptly blame every symptom on "the demon weed"

13. No matter how healthy you eat and whatever you do in life it will kill us in the end too much of a good thing does turn bad. Take it easy on the Tokes its all about moderation in everything not just Cannabis.

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" -Newton's Law of Motion