Respect And Religion

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by CR1S, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Should we respect religion ?

Everyone seems to think that we should respect the beliefs of others even if they are somewhat evil, or just plain irrational.
       Should I respect something that is the cause of so many wars and trouble in the world ?
       Just imagine a world where everyone one would not venerate some fucked up entity. A world where everyone just accpeted the randomness of the universe.
       Although I said this, I respect everyone and try too. But should I ?

2. Personally no I do not think you have to respect anyones beliefs...

Everyone has tthe right to believe what they want but if they tell me about it I have the right to say its stupid

And let's face it some people believe some insane shit...

3. [​IMG]

Should I respect someone who views me as an abomination, as some theistic religions (particularly the crazier ones) generally do?  Should I respect someone who would stone my friend for acting the way that is natural for them?  Should I respect a god who supposedly had a plan to make most of us suffer so a few of us could feel good about death?

I say no.  I respect people, not beliefs.  Be a decent person and I'll respect that, believe whatever you want past that.

4. #4 Cooterbrown, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
    A world where everyone believes in the randomness of the universe would probably be even more chaotic then what we have now. I can only speak for myself when I say this but believing in god is the only thing that keeps me in check. If I thought there was no higher power, no one to answer to, I would go do whatever I want. If this all meant nothing I would rape, stealn and murder whatever and whoever I wanted because why not. Why should I live this life of mediocrity if this is really all I get. The word Yolo would have a whole new meaning to me. You guys should feel lucky that I do believe in a god I must atone to because I would be a much different person.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #5 -13 Amp-, Jul 17, 2014
    wow man...that's really sad...you need a "higher power" to be a good person?....that's really messed up...

if you're not rewarded by god your just fuck anything and everything, exactly like a child with their parents...

so if god turned out to not be real, you'd have no reason to live anymore? or just no reason to live a good life anymore? the golden rule holds true with or without god being real, "do to others what you would want done to you"....

6. #6 esseff, Jul 17, 2014
    In a way, I have to respect another's religion. The thing called religion is like a club, and each member will have their own idea of what they should do with it. At least that's how I see it.

While it might be obvious to me that some religious folk are simply not getting the idea of what religion is supposed to be about, there are many who live good lives while attempting to embrace it. I like it when I come across people who seem to have found their own ideas out of it more than those who get bogged down in the letter of it. I tend to keep away from the latter, or just don't attract them to me.

What I have found though is it's better not to judge who someone else is, as even if I do I cannot really see enough to make it a good one. Besides, if I do, my own prejudices and knowings about my ideas and beliefs just get in the way, and before I know it I'm right and they're wrong and nothing will change that way.

To change someone's mind about something doesn't require me to make them feel wrong, else they're more likely to hold on and dig in. It must surely come out of respecting that they think and believe the way they do, then showing them something they can recognise without anyone having to be right or wrong along the way.

7. If you need a stick to act right, then you are evil.  When you act like: take that stick away and I'd totally rape people, then don't expect to be seen as a decent person.  This seems to be what religious people get most wrong about atheists when they say there must be a god for morality to exist.  You can say you need a rulemaker, but one of the rules was that a rape victim must marry the rapist and no one follows that rule because we know it's wrong, so did we really need a rulemaker in the first place?  You can say you need the threat of hell, but if you don't act well out of a desire to treat others well but only out of self-preservation, that is not moral.  That is conditioning.  That is like a dog who only doesn't bark because the master will beat it.

8. I don't respect nor do I disrespect religion. I respect religious people, untill they give me a reason not to respect them.
    I believe religion is suppose to be a good thing though, but some people will always take advantage wherever they can.

9. Lol, but couldn't you do all those things then repent. So you still go to heaven.

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

[​IMG]

11. Yeah but who says murder is wrong? People? What if I decide murder isn't wrong who are you to tell me that it is. As far as I'm concerned if there was no God, then I will make whatever rules I want since this is the one and only time I will ever experience anything, ever.

12. Hypothetically yes but I would have to truly be repentant and sorry go what I had done. Which I were to do those things in the first place, you can bet your ass I wouldn't feel sorry for it

13. #13 Cooterbrown, Jul 17, 2014
    I'm just saying that if there was no God and when I died i just ceased to exist then why would I not do whatever I want? This is your one and only shot on planet earth and once your dead you don't even know you lived so what's the point in not doing anything and everything your heart desired even if that does involve rape and murder. I guarantee most if not all serial killers/murders were atheists who didn't believe in a god because why would you do those things if you knew you'd be going to he'll.

Didn't mean to triple post I just don't know how to do multiple quotes on a phone.

14. If everything your heart desires is evil (as you imply, without a God, you would rape and murder)

And you believe in heaven and hell, you will set eyes on the river of flame

Lucky for me I believe in no God but I am a kind hearted person either way

15. There have been a lot of religous serial killers...hitler even said the nazi movement was a christian movement...come on man...

Its called being a responsable human...you don't wanna be killed so you don't kill others...

You don't want to be raped (wife or daughter or loved one as well) so you don't rape others...

It isn't hard to be moral without god or a higher power...you know murder is wrong because you don't want it done to you...

Are you also that other person? Do you own that other person's physical materials, or does that person's physical materials belong only to themselves?

If you can't figure out the correct answers to those questions, you should be confined to a space where you're not able to harm anyone else.

17. John Lennon's response to the Holy bible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUGSYDKUxU

18. #18 -13 Amp-, Jul 17, 2014
    Also a lot of killers honestly thought they were doing gods work...

What about the crusades? Or the witch trials where people were killed because they thought they were witches or from satan...

You seriously need to look into serial killers before you say they're all atheists

19. The religious say "Hate the sin, not the sinner." I say "Respect the believer, not the belief."

20. Your a clown if you think Hitler was part of a Christian movement lol. No real Christian would condemn Jews (gods chosen people) to death lol. They would have to be real stupid to think god wants them to kill the chosen ones haha

Also just because someone says they are something doesn't make it true. I can say I'm ripped with a six pack all day but I'm still some fat boy playing video games.