Resisting the urge to over nute!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Misseerie, Oct 9, 2011.

1. I would like to feed, every time I water. Currently I use the Technaflora starter kit for nutes, and the schedule is water, water, feed. I just think that I could give them more, or add in some other supplements, to speed up growth and make them bigger better and badder! Its a bit crazy. I need to remember that this is watching grass grow, and let it be, but I cant. What about some kelp or fish goo? How complete are these box starter kits? There has gotta be more I can give them :poke:

Attached Files:

2. :smoke:Hello hello hello.... Is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me:wave:

3. #3 hostileguy, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
    Don't go beyond the prescribed schedule. Over nuting your plants can very easily kill them. Look at other factors for better yields, better ventilation, more lights, soil(but u can't change that now), proper arrangement of lights(and reflection off walls), test your soil PH, etc.

Your plants look very healthy anyways, patience is the key.

and don't pull your plants out like that for a photographic pose!

4. No over feeding will cut your yield, seriously guys get it out of your head that nuking your plants is going to make them better, plants can only take in a set amount of nutrients and it's going to burn.

Nute burn fucks up your pH and your plant, so stick to the schedule ;)

5. It sounds like you really don't need any advice, you already know that over-feeding is bad. None of us can be there to grab you by the wrist to stop you from nuting too much, ultimately it is up to you anyway. If you really didn't know about over-feeding then yes you would benefit from being told, but beyond that you have to find your own discipline.

You have the knowledge and the motivation, just follow your own advice to yourself. And remember this mantra: less is more.

6. I guess the actual question was how complete the system I have is? Is the addition of kelp unnecessary? The photo of the roots, was of a clone during transplant.... Didnt uprooted it for giggles. Thanks for input guys, GC is awesome.:D

Less is more less is more less is more

7. #7 wetdog, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
    Experience is the best teacher, so go ahead and dump all the shit you want on them.

Kill a few plants and you'll learn ..... maybe.

Way, way back, I did the same with orchids. Kill about $300 worth of plants and you start to listen to people who know what they're talking about, or get a better paying job, or quit growing.

BTW, kelp is great stuff, in small amounts.

Wet

8. I have ZERO urge to overfeed my plants. The best quality buds are produced by the healthiest plants. Overfeeding reduces plant health. So why do you have any urge to do that? If anything I would much rather underfeed my plants than overfeed.

9. Ill try my hand at cloning, or something, and let the ladies do their thing. Best to get a few grows in before I get ahead of my self and screw with a DIY nute system. I definitely don't want to harm them.... Thanks for all the advice, it is appreciated.:)

10. [quote name='"Lay Low"']I have ZERO urge to overfeed my plants. The best quality buds are produced by the healthiest plants. Overfeeding reduces plant health. So why do you have any urge to do that? If anything I would much rather underfeed my plants than overfeed.[/quote]

sound logic ^

Given a choice, I'd take a slight nute def than have a slight or severe nute burn.

It's a non-linear type scenario. Just because your plant does great in veg at 1000ppm nute feeding, DOES NOT mean it will do 2 times as good or better @ 2000ppm strength feeding.

Less really is more.

I have recently been using GO's line of Grow, CaMg, Bio Root, etc. I have been feeding 1/2 of what the manufacturer states and the plants have always looked great. I just recently upper the last feeding to full strength as well though.

You really wanna know how much you can nute your plants?

Start feeding and documenting, increase feedings and watch for nute burn. Back off on the nutes once you find what ppm your strain can handle/tolerate.

The plant WILL tell you when enoughs enough and how often. That's what your guideline should be.

11. May I add to that?,
    You likely will not see the damage for a few days, if damage shows the first or second day you got a major dose and the damage will be ongoing for a few days or more unless flushed out. Also be sure when you feed strong doses,,,If the plant isn't strong and healthy you should give it a lower light the next day so it can take it up slower. You should get results by the third day. I always measure by 3 day increments. Also the older and stronger the plant the better it handles the hot nutes.

12. Go ahead and over nute them then post what happens. Often the best way to learn is from mistakes and that would be a bad one but it would be interesting to see before and after pics for the rest of us :).

13. So with you guys saying less is more why does this feeding schedule guide have so much stuff?

Feeding Schedule Guide

14. Why does the oil change place tell me to change my oil every 2-3k when my book in my car says 7500k...to make money.

Cannabis is very nute sensitive. Robust do all sort of things but the fastest easiest way to fry your plant is to over nute.

To make matters worse every strain is different. Some can take only half recommended some like all of it some like 75% etc.

Best way is to start off 30-50% work your way up.

15. That feeding schedule is off general hydroponics website. So I should not refer to it at all? Start at 50% and build up? Leave out some of the nutes suggested?

16. Why not start off with a little and work up... mine are two months and haven't add nutrients yet..

17. It should be looked at as a max amount.

18. Recomended feeding schedules are pretty much the maximum you should use. Patience will be rewarded. I'm looking at my Northern Lights plants in their ninth week flowering now and it's been worth the wait. I stopped feeding about ten days ago. Patience.

Attached Files: