Resin On My Lips After Every Bong Hit, Why?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by juanchez92, Sep 5, 2014.

1. I just recently bought a percolator and since I first hit it I've gotten resin on my lips. At first the two hit I took were good the third one is when I noticed it on my lips when I wiped my mouth. I thought it was dirt and the bong was just dirty so I cleaned it out good to make sure. I loaded it up again and hit it. Again the first two couple hit were good then the third I started getting so resin on my lips. I didn't care I just kept hitting it but it got to a point where my lips were brown. Does any one know why this is? Am I not hitting it right? I bought it at a smoke shop and it had no name it just said glass pipe on tag. I'm no smoking expert but the bong looks like a saxophone on the mouth piece. It has two chamber one where the mouth piece goes which is cylindrical and the other smaller chamber that just looks like a tube where the stem sits. Inside the first chamber there is a bottom part that's empty where the stem tube connects above that is a mushroom looking part that seems to catch tar then on top of that another space that has the mouth piece. I have been putting in water through the mouth piece so it sits on the tar catcher idk if that's right or if it goes under the tar catcher? Can anyone help me not get all that Shit on my lips?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Also not just me but every one that's hit it so far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Post a pic of it. 
    can't really visualize it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 Old School Smoker, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
    You sure thats a bong? If so, did you add water?

I have gotten resin on my lips from very very dirty pipes. Never from a bong or bubbler.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Duckysaurus, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
    Ohhh, so the mouthpiece is very small? The opening at least? Resin will build up on the opening, because it's both cooled and being channeled into a small opening. Try smoking with a piece of cloth over a pipe's opening and you'll see how much resin can build up.

The reason this doesn't happen so frequently with a hand pipe is because the smoke volume passing through at once is less and warmer, and with bongs the mouth opening is larger so the smoke doesn't all hit the lip of the opening. Of yours is shaped like a saxophone, all the smoke is being focused at a very small area, and will build up quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I didn't know it was possible to get resin on your lips from a bong, or a glass bowl for that matter. I occasionally get resin on my lips from joints but that's it

• Like Like x 2
  7. Add pics or your just wasting a thread

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..grabba dabba goo

• Like Like x 1
  8. If your bong has a smaller mouthpiece try hitting it with your lips pressed against the top of the bong instead of putting them inside the tube.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I find the kind of bud your using can play a factor too. 

• Like Like x 1
  10. This is the bong. I put water in through the mouth piece and it sits at the top while no water goes into the chamber thats under it the leads to the stem. Even when I hit it after just cleaning it, I get resin on my lips no matter how clean it is. While you hit it you cam honestly see resin building up on the side and the first time I cleaned the stem I had enough resin to smoke for a month. These are two buds I've been smoking lately.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  11. #11 Duckysaurus, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
    Huh, from your description I was expecting a smaller mouthpiece. You say resin builds up in the whole thing almost immediately? I can only assume it's to do with that area that's pinched where the curve is. Maybe that part is focusing the smoke in such a way that resin is getting deposited more efficiently? And how much resin are we talking about? If you wipe your mouth off is it a noticeable amount?

EDIT: just reread your first post about the amount of resin. The only things I can imagine causing it are really tar-y bud, something about the bong's shape causing it to affect the flow of smoke, or something about your technique, maybe all three. I've never heard of anyone else with this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I know what OP is saying, and I'll end the discussion right here.
    It has to do with the quality of glass. That is very poor.

13. I have never heard of this. Get a new piece and just use this one as a party piece that you don't care about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. are you sure you have enough water in the piece?

15. I never saw anyone get resin anywhere on there mouth except from a really juicy blunt. Then I met my wife, no matter what piece she smokes out of she always gets resin on her front right tooth, never the left always the right. I have a bong with 3 honeycomb percs and she still gets it on her tooth. It's unexplainable to me because no one else ever does and my pieces don't get very dirty. I guess you're just unlucky like she is.

16. Sounds like that has to do with her draw technique! She must be bringing in the smoke directly over that tooth.

17. Sounds like you have some liquid resin. Don't worry your not the only one. I have the same issue, and I hate to say it but the only way you can put an end to it is to buy another peice. 

18. I use a similar, though larger, piece with a two chamber perc. I've been having the same problem with my piece lately. However, it hasn't always been a problem. I've been racking my brain to find out why this is, and the below factors are what I've derived in my situation.

Factors:
    Environment - I've begun using and storing my piece in my garage. It has been much cooler lately, and since this is stored in the same environment in which its used it's constantly subjected to cooler temperatures. I feel that this factor has the greatest effect when it comes to "resin lips".

Quality of bud - given the time of year, there is an abundance of outdoor grown cannabis. This is what I have been using as it is obviously widely available, and more affordable in most instances. Since we are also in the giving season, budget comes into play, and I personally use the opportunity to lessen my tolerance and start burning more trim than quality buds. The particular strain I've been using this season is OG Kush.

The best fix short of buying a new piece, is the change your draw method as mentioned previously on this thread. Using cheesecloth or other fabric filters can work as well, but then you're working your lungs harder than necessary. I've just been keeping a paper towel on me and wiping the mouthpiece between each hit.

I realize I'm late to the party with this, but perhaps this will provide insight to others with the same problem.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Have this problem.

Main reason is how we draw in the smoke. It's hard to explain without showing but if you breathe in on your mouth piece like you're sucking a straw, you will eventually run into this problem. Where as if you take a deep breathe in through your mouth, without forming fish lips seal on mouth piece the resin will go straight into throat and not on lips/teeth. I am able to cough up a decent amount of tar from my throat after a bowl where it originally would have stayed in my mouth.

Sounds gross I know but having it go into your throat instead of your mouth is much better, as I was getting ready to quit smoking until I read a post on what I'm saying now. I bought a new bong to see if that was the case but a brand new one did it as well.

Also find a lot of water or extra water above percs does not help as it may cool down the smoke too much which in turn creates solids when it hits lips/teeth but that's just an educated opinion.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Just sounds extra dank to me, but what do I know? I have yet to use a bong in my daily smoking routine.