research

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by herbariah, Dec 14, 2012.

1. I will be starting a small grow op here within the next couple of months and just wanted to get some opinions from y'all. I am going to be growing indoors and am thinking of using Secret Garden | Stealth Indoor Gardening Grow Box to get started. I know there are a lot of options out there but this one seems to be pretty well fool proof which is good cause sometimes I'm pretty dense.

2. #2 MyDogSmokesWeed, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
    If it's your first grow you may consider a soil grow until you get used to things. Hydro can be unforgiving if you're having a problem. Also, with 9 plants in that setup, I personally think that will be way too much, and they will get in the way of each other. I think that's a pretty expensive setup considering you can buy a tent for around $150, and you could build your own hydro setup for around $100, then still have $600 left over for a great light, filter, fan, etc. I wouldn't bother with that setup, but to each his own. 2x2 though, I highly doubt you can fit 9 plants. Even if they are really small plants. Just remember small plants give small yields. Same goes with lights. Get your lights right. It's one of the more important parts to making your grow worthwhile.

3. Yeah I've been gardening for most of my life but when it comes to sweet mj I am at a loss. I've tried to grow in soil before but I think I drowned them and I also had to move them due to housing inspections and after that they just withered away. Anywho if I buy the aforementioned product I will probably plant three or four because I agree that is an awfully small space. I'm doing this with my fiancé and she is the one who wants to buy the setup. I'm a certified hvacr technician so I think I could easily build our own with pvc mylar and some wood, but she insists on buying "pro". I had an idea to use our fish tank as our watering source then reroute the runoff back into the tank it seems like it would work but I don't know.

4. Personally I think it's a waste of money. Especially if you can build your own setup that will work better. Plus you can customize it so it's exactly what you need. Personally I don't think the space itself is one of the most important things of the grow as long as you keep temps and humidity consistent that is. Lights should be your biggest concern, and depending on what you got with getting fans and filters to keep the room cool. What kind of light are you going with? How many plants are you looking to do? Also, what's the area you will grow in? Big, Small, closet, room?

Just because you buy something online doesn't mean it's "professional".

5. I will have a full basement to work with, when I checked the house out they had a small room blocked off down there and im not sure how big it is but I think that would probably be my best bet for security reasons. the neighborhood Im moving to is a pretty high traffic area and "the projects" are right down the block. Im planning on using hps bulbs as they seem to be what people recommend

6. Yeah, I'd go with a HID light for sure. You'll probably want a dimmable ballast that runs both MH and HPS bulbs. MH are supposed to be better for veg, and HPS for flower. Also remember the bigger the light the bigger the buds. I"m not expert by any means, but I have a couple big ass plants going on my first grow, and I'm not unrealistic to think I'm a really great grower, but I have a 1000W light which helps out a lot. lol. The only drawback to HID lights are the heat, but it sounds like you have a good little area there to make it work. Check out your humidity down there though as basements tend to be a little wettish, and therefore can help mold grow. So you may need a dehumidifier. If you have the area though I'd suggest just hanging mylar on the walls for reflection and make a little room down there. Hook up a nice fan and filter and you'll be good to go. That will be your best bet is to make a little enclosure. It will keep light in/out, not give off any red flags to people around you, and make the smell stay in there with a good filter. I think tents are a little bit of a pain especially for people that plant to grow all the time. I can see if you want to do a run of plants, then stop for awhile, but if you plant on keeping plants growing usually then it seems smarter to build something. It is nice if it can come down relatively easily though.

7. yeah im lookin for something more permament than tents but i like that idea as well, it just seems like there are more ways to eff it up than if i build a my own box and whatnot

8. Not necessarily. There's good stuff out there, but if you can build it yourself I'd say that's the way to go. Not sure how you build things, but I know if I built it it would come out way better than most things bought. The bottom line is that good stuff is expensive to buy, but not all expensive stuff is good. It's just easier IMO to do it yourself if you have the knowledge. Plus it will generally turn out better. Take care of your lights and ventilation and that's the most important part for any good grow. You can't grow good buds without good lights, and if you have good lights you need good ventilation. If you have that much $ to spend on it though you'll be in good shape. Right now I'm on my first grow, and have probably put around $500 total into my setup and frankly it's pretty sweet. At least it will be when it's all really up and going. Like I said, I'm on my first grow in soil before switching to DWC. Have all the stuff for it thought, just have to build my kit. Don't need them yet though, so I haven't done it yet, but they're really easy to make. Just need a tote, air pump, airstones, and netpots. Really simple. Plus you can buy a submersible pump and run water to each plant if you want. That whole setup will cost you a little over $100. I just think the money is much more well spent on a good light, fan, filter, etc. Usually it's cheaper and better quality if you build it yourself. I'd suggest getting stuff that makes it as easy on you as possible. Timers for everything, I have a nice temperature plug as well so the temp in the room will stay at whatever I set it at. Build a room and make it as automated as possible. Take out the human error. At least as much as you possibly can.

9. Yeah money won't really be an issue although it would be nice to save where I can. I am aiming towards a $1,500 budget

10. I hear you. I'd just suggest spending it where it matters the most. You can have a kickass setup for that amount. If it's something you plan on having in your basement all the time it's not a bad idea to build something. A tent in the basement seems to look a bit odd if anyone is ever down there. In the future I plan to have a small grow area, and make it completely hidden so even if someone is in my house they don't know it's there. That's the safest way to do it. Then even if someone breaks in and is trying to steal something they never even find the room. I've always loved hidden rooms since I was a kid though. lol.

11. google formufit pvc fittings if your thinking of building your own box/tent. Formufit pvc fittings are perfect for constructing a cheap and well built structure that is easily adjustable. They come in standard sizes so you can buy your fittings on the web, then go to home depot and buy 10' lengths of normal PVC in the appropriate size. Much easier then dealing with lumber, all you really need is a hacksaw to cut the pipe lengths to size, and a reflective surface to attach once you have your framework built. My tent is 2'x4' and 5.5' high, and cost around 80$ half the price or less of a name brand tent. around 30$ worth of fittings, 10$ for 3 10' lengths of 1" diameter PVC, 20$ for 10'x10' of 6mm black white poly for the lining, 10$ for extra strength duck tape to secure everything, and a 8$ tarp zipper to make a door.