Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Research Paper

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by DoingResearch, May 26, 2013.

1. #1 DoingResearch, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
    Hello GC, I'm new here.

I'm doing a research paper for school, and would appreciate any links that are scientific, not opinionated on whether or not marijuana should REALLY be completely legalized. I have read a lot about the negative side effects it has on young kids (the most likely to consume it).

Please add citations and links :)

Peace and pot guys; i'll post the paper and my grade here after I write it if you guys wanna read it.

Edit: I would like the main focus to be on the true medical applications if possible :smoking:

2. Which is your main focus then? Full legalization or medicinal properties? If it's on mary's medicinal properties then I would contact Granny, as she has more articles on it than your brain can fathom.

3. Hmm, I guess I should be more clear.

I want to touch on both. I would like to open with covering how marijuana NEGATIVELY effects you, because more often than not the stoners that do papers on legalization do not cover this. A brief mention of how occasional use when you are out of your teens has no real side effects would be alright. I intend to then transition to the medical benefits that the plant has to offer humanity. I hope to end the paper with how many people DO abuse the plant and how you CAN be addicted.

I am trying to approach this paper without bias :smoking:
    I'm sifting through grannys list but its kind of insane and the paper only has to be ~5 pages long. So if anyone can throw some links my way I would really appreciate it.

4. Here is my paper so far.

[SIZE=12pt]The Devil's Lettuce[/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=12pt]            There are many names for it. Skunk. Chronic. Ganja. Herb. Grass. The list is truly endless. Opinions of the plant are just as limitless. Misinformation is often a major influence on said opinions, whether it be teenagers that believe the drug is completely harmless, or parents of those teenagers who think it is not only deadly, but that it can also lead to harder drugs such as cocaine and heroin. However, the truth behind marijuana can be found somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]            Marijuana criminalization was very racially motivated. Whether it be the Mexicans invasion of labor, or the blacks entrance into society (Many jazz artists gave homage to the plant), Cannabis was banned for all the wrong reasons. Federal opinion of the drug was spear headed by Congressman Anslinger and his Marijuana Tax Act. Anslinger suggested that Marijuana was the cause of various brutal slayings, with little to no actual evidence to back this up. He continued to make false claims and twist actual studies until it was impossible for any moral human to allow this horrible drug to thrive in America. Dr. William Woodward attempted to correct these claims, however his beliefs could not match the fanciful accounts of Anslinger. (1) To many modern day teenagers, these proven lies prove that cannabis is harmless.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]            The most obvious untruth to that belief can be found in the lungs. (2) When comparing regular tobacco smokers to regular cannabis smokers, the lungs were similarly damaged due primarily to a buildup of tar. When compared to a non-smokers lunge, the damage is obvious. Not only are the lungs impacted, studies have also shown that the most sought after component in marijuana, THC, has negative impacts on a part of the brain called the hippocampus. These findings were amplified in those 25 and under, during which the brain was still growing. The hippocampus is responsible primarily for both learning and memory. While under the influence of Cannabis, many find that it is nearly impossible to learn something new due to this effect. Pregnant women can experience the worst effects of the plant. Many children who were exposed to marijuana during their fetal stages later on experienced a variety of behavioral, social and memorative issues. However, outside of these mostly minor issues, there are very few other negative side effects.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]            Many teenagers who begin using the drug are confronted with a major obstacle: their parents. A common phrase these students use to describe their parents is “sheep.” It is difficult for these teens to see why they are not allowed to toke, and with good reason. Many parents are extremely uneducated when it comes to the plant. One of the most common statistics adults believe is that marijuana often acts as a gateway drug. It is true that a majority of heavy drug users started their career with marijuana. However, if you truly look at the numbers, the number of cannabis consumers is much greater than that of heroin users. Starting in 1999, Congress actually ceased to accept this rumor in a study published by the National Academy of Sciences. (3) Statistically speaking, the simple fact that marijuana is so commonly used skews the statistics. Those who use hard drugs are equally, if not more likely to have started with alcohol and tobacco abuse. Thus, cannabis' gateway capabilities have been debunked. An equally popular gross misconception is the idea that marijuana can be addicting. However, this is not entirely untrue. Frequent cannabis users can in fact develop a dependency on the drug. This dependency is not quite the same as an addiction. Frequent tobacco smokers go into withdrawls when they have not consumed the drug, becoming physically ill. Cannabis consumers experience a different kind of withdrawl. Many “addicted” users experience moodswings and trouble sleeping when going extended periods of time without marijuana. Thus, while not entirely untrue, marijuana addiction is grossly misrepresented.[/SIZE]

So this part of the forum is generally more geared to the medical side of the discussion.  Health use and benefit.  While intoxication comes up in the conversation it generally runs to therapeutic use of intoxication there are some therapeutic uses, or how to avoid intoxication because some people want the health benefits without the bother of being buzzed all the time.  Medicinally we know that a large part of the immune system is at least partially controlled by cannabinoids and cannabinoid like substances.  For any one interested in getting to know some of the other players in immune system control start reading about Polysaccharides, Sulfated Polysaccharides and Inulin and on like that it gets wildly complex quickly.

The big questions most of us have are which cannabinoids and under what conditions.  The "endocannabinoids" appear to be a much larger group of lipids than the currently known plant cannabinoids found in different cultivars of Cannabis with a much larger and more diverse set of activities than can be obtained with cannabis.  Never the less the "if's, and's, or's and but's" of regulating the endocannabinoid system are only beginning to be explored.  Mean while we have a lot of sick people seeking relief from the diseases that are caused by dis-regulation in the body's ability to communicate with it's immune system correctly.  This means that cannabinoids play a role in regulating all forms of "autoimmune diseases" including cancer.  It is very likely that as the mechanics of the endocannabinoid system become better understood cannabis may diminish in importance to patients like us but for now for most of us this is the last house on the block looking for relief medicine.  Some of us will have better results than others but for many of us it is the pursuit of life.  There will only be time to worry about the pursuit of liberty and happiness once life "HEALTH" is secured to the extent that it can be.

If you want a research paper to get you started then read what you can find about "Clinical Cannabinoid Deficiency Syndrome.

good luck