Research experiments

Discussion in 'General' started by Capsule Sun, Oct 25, 2012.

1. I just got done with one that lasted from Monday to Thursday. They were testing how heat affected protein cytokines and muscle recovery (I was in the control group so I didn't get the heat treatment), had me do an intense leg workout (8 sets to find my 1 rep max on leg extensions, then 7 sets of 10 at 120% my 1MR) and then drew blood plus took 3 pieces(each the size of a pencil eraser) out of my quadriceps. Feels really awkward having muscle basically ripped out of your leg, even if the area's completely numbed by lidocaine (same stuff they use to numb your mouth at the dentist), gives you a huge cramp/charlie horse that you can feel through the anesthetics. Got stuck with 24 needles in all, not including the tools used in the muscle biopsy but was compensated with 50$ and my girlfriend got extra credit for her class.

This was my first time ever doing something like this, so I was wondering if anyone else has gotten involved in any research trials?

2. 50$ for having some of my quad taken out? No thanks.

3. The amount of muscle I lost is so minute that it had no significant effects, I was able to max out at 220 the day before the first biopsy and 220 the last day after 3 pieces were taken out.