Res temp issues on budget grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Kevieboy420, Jan 21, 2014.

1. #1 Kevieboy420, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
    Hows a cheap fast way to drop my res temp down from 70? Btw my res is a 4gal sterilite tote.Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 Dro Smoe, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
    Frozen water bottles or 2 liters

3. Ok cool thank youSent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. I havent used the frozen bottle trick but ive been thinking about it.... Heard that it really only will last a few hours before the temps raise back up. All here say tho. If it works for your setup go for it.

My DWC holds at 70*  with No issues, yet.

Let me know how it works for you. Budget Grow over here as well.

5. It worked but for only a few hours then i had to replace them.Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #6 Dirty Jerzey, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
    Yea thats what I was saying, unless your there to always replace them every few hours, its a bit redundant. But alas, if its your only means of dropping the temp then go for it!!

7. Ive got an idea that might work but im not to sure nor have the means to get what i need to build it right now.Sent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Ive seen a thread before where dude placed his DWC's in larger bins, then filled the bottom of said bin with water, he added his ice bottles to that. And there was no need to lift your lid, and no risk of freezing your root ball to death. And it cooled his res's from the outside.

Another is where, he got a small AC unit and placed his air pumps intake on the ac vents so it pumped cold air through his res. Works as well. A bit more ellaborate, but theres many ways to smoke herb. Just gotta find what suits you best.

9. I might try putting it in a bigger tote with water and the ice bottlesSent from my SCH-S738C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. spend a couple hundred bucks and get a chiller. it's worth it

11. #11 ParanoiaKills, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
    When I was growing DWC I liked ice cubes for my res, and I would ph the ice cubes so that you don't need to actually ph your res. But frozen bottles can work even better as they last longer, you just won't get the ph effectDon't forget that it also costs a lot in electricity to run a chiller

12. ice cubes would mess with the concentration of your soup, I don't suggest doing this. water bottles work ok.

they're damn expensive though. on a budget, like the OP specified, the frozen bottles thing would work. even if you cant change out the bottles all the time, some of the time is better than not at all.

look on youtube, there's tons of diy water chiller designs

13. This will work if you live in a cold climate like I do. Get a piece of 1/2" i.d. tubing and put it on the intake of your air pump and run the tubing to your attic. The air being pulled into the pump is nice and cool, thus will cool your res off nicely.

14. I built a chiller for mine. Thankfully I haven't had to use it as it's gotten cold here, but it's in the bucket just in case. I installed an inlet and outlet on the back of my bucket. Then took 1/2" irrigation tubing (from Lowes, Home Depot, etc) and coiled it around the inside of the bucket and connect it to the inlet and outlet. It's basically like a wort chiller in brewing or making moonshine. Then I just have a second bucket in the tent with water in it and a small water pump connected to the chiller. If/when I need to use it, I drop ice bottles in the water bucket to cool that water which then gets pumped through the chiller and dumps back into the water bucket. And it just keeps cycling. It will lower the temp fairly quickly and if I need more I just replace the ice bottles. This way I'm not dumping ice straight in my res or putting frozen bottles in my res which takes up room and can damage roots. I've got pics of the one I built in my thread (see sig).

15. #16 IllestVillain, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
    Frozen water bottles are the cheapest method.

16. Have to you tried to wrap your bucket in mylar or alum foil tape??? cheap and effective for reducing temps