Required HIV/AIDS testing

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Frösty, Apr 2, 2013.

1. So I gotta come up with a speech against required HIV/AIDs testing (for like college students etc). I for the life of me cannot come up with anything that I can back up with statistics etc. Any ideas blades?

2. The only reason I can come up with is: some people are afraid of knowing the truth.
    I've heard of people who simply DON'T WANT TO KNOW about their HIV status, which is retarded because an HIV test takes less than 20 minutes and you get your results within a couple of days.

You don't even need to go back to your doctor's office to get your results, your doctor can simply call you up and tell you "ok you don't has HIV." Everyone should get tested at least once a year and at least twice a year if you're sexually active.

I guess if you're anti-social and a virgin and you've never come into contact with needles or blood, then asking for an HIV test from this type of person is unreasonable.

3. what about those so called dentist who gave one patient aids and hepatitis? just a weird thought........ the cdc controls things but shit happens. it is discrimantory to pass judgement based on their health condition, like insurance companies do

4. Ya i have come up with a few things such as HIV false positives, which could be bad because people could go their life thinking they have HIV then...or people who get tested for HIV, find out they have HIV, then act upon it, in a college setting if it were required people would feel like everyone would know if they have an std so they would feel safer having sex with people because if they did have the std they would be told by the other..if that makes sense, but honestly nothing I can prove with factual information from sources etc..

5. How would other people know your medical history unless you told them?

Doctors are bound to HIPPA, which means that nobody (not even your parents) can get your medical information from your doctor.

Understanding Health Information Privacy

6. Well the problem here is the on campus health center is run by a lot of students who do the testing (usually grad students though) which is the only reason privacy would be an issue, but I have decided to not even include that into my article. I have found:

Risk Factors Associated with False Positive HIV Test Results in a Low-Risk Urban Obstetric Population

and so I have a part about that but really other than that I haven't found much. I'm supposed to be using tons of sources in this thing but since now a days technology is so good and privacy is already pretty well respected, it is hard to come up with a reason why there shouldn't be HIV testing of college students :/

7. the simple cost efficiency... how many people really have hiv/aids in America? compared to places like South Africa America has really a minute hiv problem but if it isn't that costly then this argument wouldn't work

8. Personally I have not looked up the cost, but the chick who is doing the opposite side of this argument said they were not costly and handed me a stack (literally) of articles on her side that she is going to use...That being said the city where I live has an increased rate of HIV and I am guessing the TA wants us to relate the topic to people in the class so they would all be living in the same city:/

9. I can't think of any reasons why actually having everyone HIV tested would be bad, but if you want to debate, look at the money and rescorces. every good thing has costs.

If HIV tests were required for all college students, who would be paying for it?

If the students have to pay for it out of pocket, you can argue that this is an unreasonable cost and that college is already so expensive as it is (kind of a stretch though, because you're required to get your imminizations before going to college, and you have to pay for those. Also, colleges have the right to refuse students for not following the school's rules)

If the government would have to pay for it, though, you can call it a waste of taxpayer dollars. Talk about how the money would be better spent on research to try to find a cure or better treatments, or that it should be spent on education.

You could also say its a waste of doctor's time to test a large group of people who will probably mostly test negative. (though that's not really true since the new hiv tests are way less labor intensive than old ones, and now an at-home HIV test exists)

10. I'd be damned if my government tried requiring me to be tested for hiv. What I do with my body, to my body, or what's infected my body is not the government's business. But of course, there are people that would go spreading the disease, using it as a weapon of sorts. Regardless, it's none of their business if I have hiv or not

11. Well, it sort of is. If you're HIV positive and you're going around fucking everything in sight (willingly or unwillingly) and swapping needles with all the diabetics and homeless people, you're spreading the disease and thus I can see why the government might be interested in you. At that point, you no longer become an HIV+ individual, rather you become a weapon of mass destruction. :smoking:

12. It's actually against the law (at least WI) to sex with someone without telling them first you are HIV+. That and I'm pretty sure a lot of states have laws like the year and a day or something where if a person dies within a year and a day of contact with them and because of that contact, you are a murderer (I feel like I pulled that out of my ass but I am almost positive I've heard about that in the past)

13. That's like saying you're willing to give up some your personal freedoms, for s little bit of security. Yes, I MAY be s weapon of mass destruction, but just like you can't assume every middle eastern is a terrorist, you can't assume someone with hiv is a wmd or would use it that way.

But I also don't think the government has the right to know who owns firearms so my views are obviously a little different.

14. if you have HIV i believe you are required by law to inform your partner. if you do not you can face charges. i'm not sure if that applies to other diseases as well. possibly ones such as hepatitis.

15. Ya, it is state laws so it differs from state to state but most states have it. Gave my speech today, thank you blades y'all helped me out :hello:, feel free to keep discussing I really don't give two shits:smoking: