Requiem for a Dream - Opinions on the Movie?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jane_Bellamont, Oct 12, 2016.

1. #1 Jane_Bellamont, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    I remember watching it back when I was 15. Undoubtedly, one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen.

It's certainly put me off from ever doing any of the harder drugs, and it obviously carries a very anti-drug message.

However, after watching the ending for a second time.. 8 years later.. It's become clearer than ever that the legal and social side-effects of the War on Drugs had a greater damaging effect in their lives, not necessarily the effects of the drugs alone.

You don't see people sucking dick over alcohol.. because alcohol is cheap, legal and commercially available.

People used to go blind while drinking alcohol, just how some people lose their arms while injecting sedatives using unsanitized needles.. but again, this is all exacerbated by prohibition. Needle exchange and other drug-related harm reduction programs have proven to be a success in developed European countries.

And then there is jail, which is a no brainer. You don't go to jail if the drug you are doing is legal. This shouldn't even be an anti-drug argument.. it's as if I told you that sugar will kill you because, if you put too much sugar in your coffee, I will grab a gun and shoot you.

Finally, there's also the horrendous medical treatment that Sara was receiving, and her quality of life. Would her life had magically improved if you had simply taken the drugs out of the equation? Think about it: she was socially isolated, her husband died, nobody was visiting her, etc. That's almost guaranteed to not end very well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. its a good movie but you are discussing all sorts of shit GC isnt fond of :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  3. :ladiegaga: i fit now i can go on tv with shooter mcgavin

4. im close to the border so i guess everything is cheap, and commercially available..

5. Yes. That was one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen. It was a good movie though. The acting was really good and all but it just gave me a very disturbing feeling inside. Especially towards the end.

6. This movie made me feel terrible and left me disturbed when i was done watching. Its really the only movie to ever do that to me, i woukdnt recommend it. Ive had friends ask me about it and i always tell them to run like hell its my number one disliked movie next to open water.

What kills me the most is imdb has it at such a high rating and movies 10x’s better then it come up lower

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum