Request to remove uTube video from general circulation:

Discussion in 'General' started by somekind, Jun 16, 2007.

1. I video taped an event in public and uploaded it to youTube. It was an hilarious scene, and was widely (locally) viewed and appreciated in general. Admitedly it was an embarassing situation, but nothing incriminating.

This one video was viewed more in one week than any of my other videos have been viewed at all. There was some interest.

I was contacted by the friend of the 'fool' in the video to remove it from youTube. The message was succinct and courteous, and I'm tempted to do it of of respect. I'm not interested in harming anyone's reputation.

Here's the content of the remove request message:

First, just let me tell you that video was hilarious...damn shame you didn't catch the next fifteen minutes bc it only got better from there. I'm the guy in the green shirt - my buddy dragged me out of a bar to rescue our extremely drunk friend who he had found in the street.

The reason I'm contacting you is that I would like for you to consider pulling the video. Personally, I find it pretty entertaining that pretty much everyone I know has seen it, despite all of the nonsense attached. Moreso, I'm a bit concerned that the drunk guy in the video could run into some trouble professionally should the wrong people end up seeing this.

Any chance?

Here's a link to the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0OxWMlhCCk

I probably should just pull it as a courtesy to the poor fool who was drunk on the street. Or should I contact him and ask for money? Or just leave it forever?

2. I'd keep the video up.

He obviously had no qualms about acting that way in public... youtube is just a bigger public.

3. thats some funny shit man.

no you SHOULD NOT contact him and ask for money, that would be an extremely selfish thing to do.

if i was in your situation i would pull the video. the guy seems genuinely sincere about it and therefore it seems like the right thing to do.

4. Not to mention that it is also extortion.

5. I don't think that's true. I have no reason to do anything about the video, if he really wants it off maybe I should let him pay me to remove it. How is that extortion.

Do you think that the people who photog'd Brittany's cooch would turn down cash to remove them from circulation?

6. Kinda like this:

7. extortion or not, its just the wrong thing to do.

what if some random guy had a video of you drunk doing stupid things, and he wanted money for it?

8. There is an easy solution to that; don't do obviously stupid things ;)

9. lol ya thats true :p

10. Well, that's what we're talking about here. This guy had his 2 weeks of drunken fame. Should I erase him or leave him there forever for people to enjoy?

11. The ending of that is so funny when he runs into the guy and is just like "FUCK YOU!"

Hilarious, leave it up.

Or better yet do the extortion thing, good idea Rasta.

12. as was said much much earlier in the thread, the guy clearly had no issue acting that way, and i think it should be left there, i don't think any large amount of trouble could come from this anyway, there was little to no incriminating stuff going on in that video, and who here honestly hasn't gotten that sloppy drunk at least once... :smoke:

13. I watched the video some more. It's pretty funny!! I thought about responding to the request like this:

"Thanks for your thoughful concern about your friend's appearance on youTube. I considered taking the video down, but it's sooo funny!! Is it really a problem for mr. grabby hands? I have trouble seeing how it is going to affect his future prospects; the video is fairly anonymous. He's lucky he didn't get arrested!! Also, there's nothing incriminating on the video.

Maybe you could get your friend to post a video response? Something like, "Hey, I'm the drunk guy in the video, and I'm going to try to not make a fool out of myself in public anymore. Can you please remove this silly video of me acting like an ass?"​

Or maybe I should just be nice and make it private.

14. How would you feel if it were you in the video?

15. That I shouldn't abuse alcohol.

16. exactly

17. Just take it down.

Out of respect.

Out of understanding.

Out of compassion.

18. I would get in touch with the actual guy in the video, not the "friend". If he wants it taken down, so be it. Then again he shouldnt have gotten shitfaced and wandered out on the street in broad daylight either. He needs to learn a lesson.

quite a conundrum.

19. If I were you. I'd take it down.. but I'm also a bit of a softie.. the way I see it is this..
    You having that video up..doesn't really add anything to the quality of your life..other than having a bunch of people view a video you took..But it definitely affects the quality of the guy's life a hell of a lot more..
    I'm sure he has a lot more to lose from it being up..than you have to lose from it being taken down..

I wonder if later on he got his ass kicked.. he looked like he was well on the way to eating pavement.

20. That's why you'll perish in the zombie-poclypse