Republican or Not, You May Want to Sign

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Shade, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Start Over on Health Care Reform | National Petition

2. I don't want to sign.

3. Only a constitutionalist would sign such a whacky petition.

I hate individual rights, so I'm not going to sign it either. I'd rather the GOP goes back to being in cahoots with the Democrats and support the rise of corporatism.

4. I don't support Obama's plan, but I won't be signing that either.

5. Do either of you two (post/pen) have any particular reason for not signing? Or is it just because this is a republican petition?

6. Maybe if they left out the abortion bit... ;)

It's primarily a list of republican talking points. It's the same arguments they've made against health care for years. I agree with some of it, and disagree with other parts of it.

It depends on how indignant I'm feeling.

To be fair, I wouldn't put my name on a list of democrat bullshit either. I'm not really into internet petitions in general.

7. To be fair, this isn't exactly some random petition off of a petition-creation site or some such.

8. #8 Indica Kid, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
    Signed, I support most of these points, but I absolutely don't support firmly upholding medicare. Medicare is horseshit and is up there with the likes of social security in fiscal costs to our nation.

9. I don't support upholding medicare either, but until the health care market improves rather drastically, we'll never be able to cut it without pissing off a bunch of seniors.

10. Hahaha, exactly what the democrats have FAILED to do... :rolleyes:

11. If anyone deserves medicare its those who have been paying it since the start. They should let young people opt out of it all together.

12. #12 vince_1015, Feb 26, 2010
    Signed....You guys who dont want to sign are acting like a buch of partisans. Everyone knows this Obama plan will ruin this country financially. This country definately needs healthcare reform but not this piece of shit.

I wish they would let me opt out of SSI. I trust Uncle Sam with my money about as much as I trust a pot-head with my weed.

Aaronman...You hate individual rights....? Why? Do you think people should have freedom of speech? Or freedom to buy their own healthcare plan free from Gov. interference?

13. #13 aaronman, Feb 26, 2010

Yes, the only people who support individual rights are the thinkers and rationalists.

History is abundant with examples where eliminating economic and individual freedoms for security has worked for creating an authoritarian centralized state power that destroys peace and prosperity. Why wouldn't we want that?

Free markets only lead to mutual cooperation between consumers and producers, and competition is the key to this relationship. If we sign this petition there will be more competition, and we can't have that unless we want to further peace and prosperity.

Free speech is dangerous because it makes it harder for us to lie to the masses and control dissidents.

If we allowed consumers the right to pick and choose between nationally available insurance options that would create an incentive for competition, and as FDR said, competition caused the Great Depression. The government needs to control our spending because otherwise we would be taken advantage of by Big Pharma, and be forced to pay 5 times more for medicine.

:laughing:

14. Wow, it's pretty tough to judge inflection from a written conversation but I can't figure out whether your a complete fucking wacko, or totally sarcastic.

Just in case your a wacko:
    Competition actually did not cause the great depression. Buying stocks on margin and poor banking proceedures such as low reserve requirements led to the stock market crash of 1929. Government intervention such as the Smoot-Hawley Terriff and the "new deal" precipitated, and perpetuated the depression throughout the 30's. Sorry, it has not a thing to do with competition. On the contrary, U.S. exports and innovation coupled with our manufacturing capabilities (caused by competition) brought us out of the depression.

Reading your comment again, you have to be joking :)

15. Lol. He's being sarcastic, and probably satirical of statists, which is why I pointedly excluded him from my question above, which I directed at penelope and that one guy.

16. Yea, when he missed the sarcasm I had to kick it into satire. :smoking:

17. And still... that was putting it nicely :smoking:

18. I agree with the points that are made after start over on health care. I see no value in having the same people have the same debate... again.... and again.... do you see the redundancy in that.

They do need to fix the health care system, and I will not sign this petition that brings that goal no closer.:cool: