Republican Candidates on Marijuana (Ron Paul vs Mitt Romney))

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by ZeroStr8, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Mitt Romney: - Governor of Massachusetts (2003-2007)
    [​IMG]
    Public Statements:

“People talk about medicinal marijuana, and, you know, you hear that story: People who are sick need medicinal marijuana. But marijuana is the entry drug for people trying to get kids hooked on drugs. I don't want medicinal marijuana. There are synthetic forms of marijuana that are available for people who need it for prescription. Don't open the doorway to medicinal marijuana.”
    (“Ask Mitt Anything” Event in Bedford, NH 2007 – source)

“We've got to not only continue our war on drugs from a police standpoint but also to market again to our young people about the perils of drugs.”
    (New Hampshire Voter Event, August 17, 2011 – source)

“I believe marijuana should be illegal in this country. It is the pathway to drug usage by our society, which has made great scourges; it is one of the great causes of crime in our cities. I believe if we are at a state were, of course we are very concerned about people who are suffering in pain, and there are various means of providing pain management. And those who have had loved ones that have gone through an end of life with cancer know nature of real pain. I watched my wife's mom and dad going through cancer treatments suffering a great deal of pain, but they didn't have marijuana, and they didn't need marijuana. Because there were other sources of pain management that worked as effectively.”
    Advertisement
    (Oct. 4 2007 at St. Anselm's College, Manchester, NH – source)

“But having legalized [medical] marijuana is, in my view, an effort by a very committed few to try to get marijuana out in the public and ultimately legalize marijuana. They have a long way to go. We need less drugs in this society, not more drugs. I would oppose the legalization of marijuana in the country or legalization of marijuana for medicinal purposes because pain management is available from other sources.”
    (Oct. 4 2007 at St. Anselm's College, Manchester, NH – source)

UPDATED 01/09/12:

“Q: I want to know what you thought about industrialized hemp?
    Romney: About what?
    Q: Industrialized hemp.
    Romney: Industrialized hemp? I'm not quite sure what industrialized hemp is.”
    (Peterborough, NH Town Hall on January 5, 2012 – source)

“Q: Are you in favor of arresting medical marijuana patients?
    Romney: I'm in favor of the law not allowing legal marijuana.”
    (Tilton School Meet and Greet on January 6, 2012 – source)

Ron Paul - House of Representatives for Texas' 22nd (1976-1977, 1979-1985, 1997-Present)
    [​IMG]
    Public Statements:

“This war on drugs has been a detriment to personal liberty and it's been a real abuse of liberty, Our prisons are full with people who have used drugs who should be treated as patients - and they're non-violent. Someday we're gonna awake and find out that the prohibition we are following right now with drugs is no more successful, maybe a lot less successful, than the prohibition of alcohol was in the '20s.”
    (Comments Post-Iowa Caucus, 01/04/12 – source)

“Well, removing [marijuana] from the jurisdiction of the federal government and allowing the states to regulate it, like they would alcohol. And this seems to be strange for a lot of people, but I'm only going back to 1937 when that's the way it was handled. The states always did this, and I'm motivated strongly also because the states legalize it for the use of medicinal purposes and it is helpful to people who have cancer or are getting chemotherapy. So this is not a huge radical idea, it's something that was legal for a long, long time. And the war against marijuana causes so much hardship and accomplishes nothing. So I would say that marijuana, as far as causing highway problems, is miniscule compared to alcohol, and yet we knew prohibition of alcohol was very bad. So this is just getting back to a sensible position on how we handle difficult problems. And, for me, it should be the states.”
    (Kudlow Report, June 23, 2011 - source)

“The role of the federal government is to protect our liberties. That means they should protect our religious liberties to do what we want; our intellectual liberty, but it also should protect our right to do to our body what we want, you know, what we take into our bodies.”
    (Jay Leno Show, Dec. 2011 – source)

Full article and Other Candidates: The Republican Candidates on Marijuana | Cannabis Culture Magazine

2. Mitt Romney is a fuck-wad, and a pawn.

RP 2012!

3. Mitt Romney is the kind of slime that would take you out, ruffi you, rape you, and then in the morning make you feel guilty for getting so drunk

4. He believes that my smoking a joint in my home in the evening is more harmful to me and the country than him wearing funny underwear and using a fairy tale to guide his decisions in life and as a leader.

I don't know what is worse. Obama the liar or romney the guy who believes fairy tales written by pedophiles are something to base your whole life on. What exactly has he been smoking?

I really hope I'm wrong, but this idiot could set legalization back another 8 years and I'm too fucking old to wait dammit.

5. You guys are exactly right. Romney is the one candidate who could make me vote for Obama, if only to punish the republicans for nominating that complete ass-wipe.

6. People often stereotype people that smoke weed as dumb or stupid. But when you look at a guy like Romney, you realize that people in general are often fucking retarded. How can you display such a fundamental lack in logical reasoning and still be leading the political race?

"it is one of the great causes of crime in our cities"
    Lol. If he can't see that's a direct cause of prohibition, not marijuana, I don't see how he can dress himself in the morning.

Ron Paul 2012.

7. I think the choice is clear: Ron Paul 2012!!!

8. Mitt Romney is a fucking bastard cock blowing shit tard

9. No, no, no!!!

Write in whomever you feel is the best candidate. This is your right as a voter. This game of "lesser of two evils" is leading us down a very evil path. Corrupted Two Party "choice" is not choice. :wave:

10. I agree, IMO Obama sucks and I voted for him but i would still prefer him than romney, but as Greystone said I'd vote for him again just to look at the faces of the republicans who nominated Mitt just "Because he can beat Obama", what pisses me off is the "REPUBLICANS DON"T LIKE MITT!!!!!!!!!" they don't care what he stand for they just think he can beat OBAMA!!, Cause if they even paid attention to what comes out of the idiot mouth he wouldn't even win in one state!...

Everybody knows that Ron Paul is the better choice, he could be lying, he could be playing the political game, but if he is...he is doing it very well! Shit that comes out of his mouth makes sense. And Republicans and Special interest groups will make sure he doesn't win because either they want to beat Obama or they want another Money puppet on the seat.

I think Ron Paul is the only candidate that can beat Obama because he will be the only one that can actually steal Democratic Votes from Obama. Shit if Ron Paul doesn't win the nomination. I Know at least a dozen of republican that say they'll vote for Obama of Mitt.

11. I don't know about any of you, but even if it's still illegal I'm going to medicate anyway. Yeah, it'd be ten times nicer if my state legalized medical marijuana and we didn't have to worry about the cops, but in PA the senators we have would never go for it anyway. We have a bill waiting and they have no plans to vote for it.

Ron Paul is clearly a better choice at least on the medical standpoint for freedoms here, but a vote shouldn't be solely on who's trying to legalize pot. Like Paul said, the War on Drugs has failed, so where it would be nice to have quality controlled buds that get taxed to give back our country some money to get out of debt and keep people safe from hard drug-drug dealers and allow them to interact with knowledgeable staff that can provide them a safe access to medicine or just marijuana to use for their benefits responsibly, I think people are still going to smoke.