replacing the mother? seed, clone, or clone of clone.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by toilofday, Sep 8, 2009.

1. A potted plant obviously has a finite life period, unless you keep increasing pot sizes, so when and how do you replace the mother?

I'm getting mixed information. The hydro shop guy said six generations off the original is all you should do. Some online resources agree saying that one should always clone from the original, but others say that each clone is stronger in potency than the previous plant.

So when your mother finally runs out of steam should you start from seed for a new one, clone a few generations, or constantly replace it?:confused:

I'm assuming each clone has diminished returns, but I'm looking for some verification.

2. clones are dna replica's of the original, people have told you they get stronger, thats because its said the more mature a plant is the stronger the buds. and of course every clone is a little older. I replace my mom with a clone of herself every couple rounds, i have seen no difference in the quality, i have one plant giong on two years old, been replaced many times....and again she is just as strnog if not stronger....
    hope this helps buddy;)

3. I prefer to just do some root pruning and keep the same mom for the rest of my life. Research bonsai.
    Keep'em burnin
    DirtyViperMan

4. I have 2 mothers right now, they are 3rd generation clones of the original mothers. Havent noticed any differences in potency etc for the best or worst either way. I normally pull twice as many clones as I need, that way the best one is my new mother, and the laggards go the way of the dinosaurs. Always try and give yourself some extra leeway, it helps out a lot

5. It would seem it doesn't matter as much as I anticipated

I didn't know the mother could survive this process, and had thought about it. Thank!:hello: Are you a follower of superthrive for root trimmings then?

6. I dont really understand why one would trim roots and all that work, wehn all you have to do is take a new clone and start fresh.. Why the extra work...
    Unless its the whole bonsai plant thing...
    I try to keep it simple..once a plant has been cloned many times the branches grow real funny and it just looks plain hacked.. so a replacment keeps everything clean and fresh...:D..imo of course;)

7. I'm with you here, why would you put the extra work into it, save yourself some time and clone a new mother. After pulling clones off a mother a few times it starts looking like Frankenstein, pretty fuggn ugly. Trimming roots is tricky, if you do too many and stress your plant, bam dead, and you have no mother left.